RasPi File Manager question

Is there a way to alter the appearance, in particular the colours in the PC ManFM?

By default the background colour is white and so are the drop down menus. T his makes distinguishing the menu options from the other stuff on the scree n a pain. There's no Edit Preferences option so is there any way to make th e menus a different colour to make them stand out?

Thanks

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mason

You could try tweaking your GTK theme.

Reply to
Rob Morley

not sure hot to do this but if you are looking for a good (but still lightweight file manager) I would recommend Thunar

sudo apt-get thunar

it has the advantage of being able to use external scripts/applications as plugins. as an example i wrote have a small python program that will rename JPG files based on the Exif information in the image

(anyone interested & I will happily provide the source code)

--
I was in Vegas last week. I was at the roulette table, having a lengthy
argument about what I considered an Odd number.

ITYF PCManFM is similarly extensible.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Why does it need Thunar? I have several Python scripts that do that sort of thing to .jpg files but they do it all by themselves. Python has brilliant built-in directory tree traversing functions.

--
Chris Green
Reply to

Thunar is nice, a lot less clunky than Nautilus, though it lacks Nautilus's network-awareness.

Reply to
Hils

it dosent but thunar has the option to add it to the right click menu when you highlight the appropriate files

the way I have structured the program it has a GTK gui that can either run standalone - with a requester to select files or as an extn. where it gets the file list from the file manager & only presents the options for saving.

I mainly use it to simplify moving pics from my camera to the correct location on my server

--
Conversational Slumming:
	The self-conscious enjoyment of a given conversation
 Click to see the full signature
Reply to
alister

Can it? I could not see that option last time I looked (but that was some time ago) as I generally use XFCE on my laptop I haven't checked recently, I guess I will take another look now many thanks

--
Serocki's Stricture:
	Marriage is always a bachelor's last option.

Thanks for the suggestions.

I've had look at Thunar and to be honest I'd like to keep the Pi running the software that came in the build as much as possible.

I haven't had time to delve too deeply into what's possible with PCmanFM regarding config scrips etc. but I will get round to doing it.

I was hoping someone else on here had a quick 'Go to this file and add/change this to change the colours'.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mason

Hi Nick,

Here's what worked for me:

  1. Open a terminal from within LXDE.
  2. Run lxappearance.
  3. On the Widget tab, "PiX" is the default setting. Change it to "Clearlooks", then click "Apply".

The look-and-feel is very similar, but drop-down menus will have outside borders that make it easier to distinguish them from the rest of the application window.

John

Reply to
John Smith

Actually, "Adwaita" is probably an even better choice (even more similar to "PiX".

Reply to
John Smith

John, thanks for the suggestion.

I've just tried this and I'm getting command not found.

Are you running the latest version of Raspbian, Jessie?

I'm finding that a lot of the functionality of the last version, particular ly when it comes to customising the look and feel, I had on there is missin g. I thought it had probably been removed to keep the build as small and fa st as possible but now I'm wondering?

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mason

I'm wondering the same, Nick.

When I go to a terminal prompt, if I type "lxa" and press tab, it auto- completes with "lxappearance". If you're using Jessie and not Jessie Lite, I believe it should be included.

Reply to
John Smith

John,

I'm running Jessie on two of my three Raspi's. I have one of each model, th e model 1 is in a robot, the model 2 is running a weather station and the n ewest model 3 is used for Python programming. I used to this on the model 2 as well as run the weather station to create additional graphs and reports against the weather station database.

As soon as I got the model 3 I did a clean install of Jessie on both the mo del 2 and model 3. I also took the opportunity to install the latest weewx weather station software and then restored the database and config files fi le from backup.

This morning in a rare moment of clarity I tried lxappearance on the weathe rPi and it's there and works fine.

There is something not right with the model 3 as I'm definitely getting the command not found error.

Earlier today I decided on a format and clean install.

Having backed up my python files I reloaded the copy of Jessie I used befor e and installed it to my newly formatted SD card.

Everything looks exactly as it did before but now lxappearance is working j ust as it should and having swapped to 'Adwaita' I now have a proper border around the drop down menus and they are a lot easier to read.

I also did an apt-update and an apt-upgrade to bring it up to the latest ve rsions and everything is still fine.

I have no idea what caused the problem or why but it's now fixed.

Thanks to everyone who responded.

Nick

Reply to
Nick Mason