Recoton/Optimus 900MHz loudspeaker transmitter repair?

Anyone come across common problems with this or a replacement source please? It is an Optimus CLV-A900T and also seems to be known as a Recoton with a similar number. It says on it CUSTOM MANUFACTURED IN CHINA FOR RADIOSHACK/TANDY CORP but they deny all knowledge. There is also a cat number on it which is 40-1372.

The one i have has just completely died: No light or symptoms when plugged in. I checked on line and others seem to have had this problem, though they cured it by buying a replacement.

There is one baffling point which is that there is what is known as a 'charge' socket on the back (as opposed to an AC adapter socket) along with a charge light on the back. Unless someone knows better, I checked inside and there doesn't seem to be any battery inside to charge and potentially short the circuit when it goes bad.

Reply to
myfathersson

"The CHARGER jack on the transmitter is for charging the RadioShack PRO-100 Wireless Headphones (Cat. No. 33-1145). Do not plug any other device into this jack"

Geo

No worries on that as the plugs are clearly different but is there anything which can be cone to resuscitate this unit or obtain one elsewhere?

Reply to
myfathersson

If the unit is completely dead, then I would expect to be able to pin down the cause of that with reasonable certainty, with just two or three measurements. If you don't have a suitable meter, or are unable to determine what those measurements should be, then no disrespect intended, but reviving this item without at least schematics, is likely to be beyond your skill level. Sorry.

Arfa

Reply to
Arfa Daily

"Arfa Daily" wrote in news:UG1lr.47047$ snipped-for-privacy@fx32.am:

I scoured the web for a schematic for the speaker side of the system several months ago. No cigar. I can probably trace out what I need when I get around to it. I basically want to tap in an audio signal to use them as standalone amplified speakers, which shouldn't be too tricky.

If the transmitter is totally dead, it's probably a power supply issue. Step 1: check the wall-wart supply & make sure it's putting out the right voltage. If so, there's probably something simple that died internally. If the wall-wart is toast, it could have been killed by a shorted capacitor inside the transmitter. That level of troubleshooting shouldn't be too tricky without a schematic. Beyond that, it's a lot of work to repair something without more documentation.

If the OP gives up on fixing the transmitter, I might be interested in picking up a pair of extra speakers.

Douyg White

Reply to
Doug White

@fx32.am4:

when

.

Are these speaker of adequately high quality to justify the level of bothering you are employing? Or doesn't it matter all that much once you have gone over a certain threshold with rear speakers in a home theatre setup?

First thing I did was to switch AC adapters with those of the speakers (same voltage) to isolate the problem to the transmitter itself.

Thanks for your message, t I sorta figured that if nothing happens when you plug it in, it is probably a power supply issue 'cos before you even start to get into circuits, that is PROBABLY what sends juice to the LED:: This is a Radio Shack unit, one would have thought that it was possible to buy a power supply somewhere? Surely easier than trying to find a transmitted for a unit which burned out its transmitter so often?

Reply to
myfathersson

myfathersson wrote in news:33bda560-fc48- snipped-for-privacy@q13g2000vbd.googlegroups.com:

I need battery powered speakers for a small PA application, and they are higher quality per $$ than anything else I've found.

Check

They have a very large collection of power adapters.

Doug White

Reply to
Doug White