Mullard Ferroxcube ferrite

I'm trying to use a couple of 'vintage' Mullard ferrite toroids. They are marked FX1585/D4 and appear to date from c.1960.

Google does not know.

Does anyone have the data please? I believe it may be in the Mullard Technical Handbook Volume 6 Part 2.

Please have a look on your bookshelves.

nick

Reply to
Nick

I have in my library MULLARD 3P2 FERROXCUBE/PXE/MAGNETS 1971 MULLARD 3P2 MAG.MATERIALS,PIEZO MULLARD 3P2 MAG.MATERIALS,PIEZO 1972 MULLARD 3P3 INDUCTOR CORES 1978 MULLARD 3P4 RM INDUCTOR CORES 1972

what data are you after?

While at it does anyone know if the likes of the British Library or the library at the Wroughton storage facility of the Science Museum have these sorts of books available for consultation, retained for posterity? I'm aware the Southampton University library unceremoniously dumped all their electronic data books,from their stack, into a skip without checking for any other holdings in the UK.

Reply to
N_Cook

on the latter

apparently includes Wroughton,

11 mullard books ,not those mentioned above.

and no Mullard technical series on bl.uk catalogue. If I pop-off suddenly ,my "estate" will probably be dumped in a skip also, any ideas along "living-will" lines , but even then bequested to who ? as probably more a liability than an asset.

Reply to
N_Cook

I need the material characteristics really. The toroids are marked FX1585/D4. I would imagine that D4 is the material.

So ideally...

Mix i.e. NiZn or MnZn? Initial permeability Saturation flux density Loss factor at ? MHz Graph of complex permeability vs. frequency Graph of hysteresis loop at 25degC

I have measured the permeability at 500kHz and it's around 830, so I would guess it is NiZn.

I want to make a transformer with two of these cores that can handle 50V and 2.8A at HF, so need to know that the cores won't saturate.

Anything you can dig out would be appreciated.

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Assume 1 Tesla, rarely is anything above 2T and sometimes as low as 0.5T, but if only interest insat, it's a god first engineering pass. It's the coercivity that will eat you alive here, though.But if you can measure, you can do all on your samples.

Reply to
RobertMacy

1972 data for FX1586 only, specifically says 1585 discontinued , only mentions grade/types of A and B and suffix numbers in 1972
Reply to
N_Cook

Thank you for finding this information.

Guess I'll have to measure it and see if it works!

Nick

Reply to
Nick

Assume you mean the flux density at saturation?

The core will only run at around 377 gauss so probably not an issue.

Yes. The core will run at about 1.8 Oe at 2MHz which looks high on the type 43 data sheet.

Measuring the hysteresis will be fun. This looks feasible...

20materialen.htm
Reply to
Nick

You could try leaving it to Arthur Missira. He has already scanned in a lot of old Mullard stuff:

Chris Jones