TEKTRONIX 5403/D40 Oscilloscope -- Does It Work?

I bought a used Subject scope 10 years ago and really never used it, except to try it for simple tasks. It was probably beyond what I needed, but I knew the seller and the price was right. Time to sell it.

I'd like to know if it actually works before selling it, but have long forgotten whatever I needed to know on how to operate it. I have function generator, and plugged the BNC connector from the scope into it yesterday. I was unable to get any signal on the scope. I know the generator works. What are the simplest steps I need to perform to get some signal displayed? The gen is a BK Precision 4011 5MHz.

Reply to
W. eWatson

If it's anything like the TEKTRONIX 465B that's sitting on the workbench behind me as I type, when you switch it on, does the "power" LED indicator light up? If so does either of the volts/div range switch LED's on channel 1 or channel 2 light up? If not, switch on push-button marked "ch1" or "ch2" and twiddle the respective "position" knobs until the beam comes into view. Or push the "beam find" button. Either way, when you've got a trace on the screen, make sure the timebase range selector is set to a range appropriate to the frequency you're providing from your genny, and the volts/div range selector is set appropriate to it's amplitude. HTH.

Cheers, Pete.

Reply to
Pete Wilcox

Den 27.07.2010 12:27, skrev Pete Wilcox:

Also make sure that you switch sync to 'auto' so it displays a trace regardless of receiving a signal or not. In addition to the suggestions above, use the horizontal position control if the trace is mispositioned.

Some sciopes also have a 'component tester' mode which disables most of the other controls, but I doubt this is a problem with your model :-)

Let us hear how it worked..

geir

Reply to
Geir Holmavatn