Re: Best heat sink compound?

The "arctic silver compound" is *bad* stuff. It migrates all over hell and back, not only making a crappy looking mess, but also has been reported to do damage to electrical contacts.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Really? I don't think I'd do that. I'm a telephone plant guy, and No-ox is the only thing I'd even begin to think of putting on battery terminals etc.

It is *way* cheaper than Arctic Silver compound. I can't remember what I paid for the 4 Oz bottle I've got, but I think it was something like $6. If that is right, it must cost $3 for the same thing anywhere else in the US.

--
Floyd L. Davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Yeah, that's the stuff.

--
Floyd L. Davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com
Reply to
Floyd Davidson

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:05:40 GMT, "Daniel L. Belton" Gave us:

The reason is because people are so poor at actually mating two surfaces together in a co-planar manner, that the metal filled shit works better, since it fills gaps, and passes heat across that fill, whereas the others bake out or perform quite poorly in the same setting.

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Tue, 02 Dec 2003 09:08:54 GMT, "Daniel L. Belton" Gave us:

Being an overclocker, you should know better than to give the multiplied number as in 2.4 GHz OC'd to 2.8, a 400MHz gain. Bullshit.

That is bullshit. What is the FSB clock change? That is the only one that REALLY matters.

BTW, if that is not really your valid e-mail, it is illegal to use a dot gov addy if it isn't legitimate. You could get nailed.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Yeah, speaking of TP. The guy who buys stuff for the shop was bitching the other day about how we'd gone through 8 rolls of TP in a week! I wanted to say, "Of courss. Everybody knows companies are a major source of free stuff!" But I held my tongue. But I did look at his 12-pack or whatever, and it was 150 sheets per roll! That's about enough for 6 wipes! And it's the thick crap, like wiping with a pillow. I like the industrial-grade cheap stuff too - 1000 sheets/roll, and it's got a texture, so you know it's wiping, and not just sliding around feeling comfortable. :-)

Cheers! Rich

DarkMatter wrote:

Rich Grise

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 01:29:51 GMT, Rich Grise Gave us:

TMI... TMI.... T M I !!!

Reply to
DarkMatter

ok... on a PIII rated at 133 mhz FSB, I can run it at a 168 mhz FSB with Arctic Silver... With the white silicone, I can get no more than

147 mhz...
Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

So it actually doesn't make any difference... or at least any significant difference.

--
Floyd L. Davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com
Reply to
Floyd Davidson

a 19 mhz difference isn't significant? on a pIII 1ghz cpu, that translates into a 142.5 mhz gain...

that's over 10%, so it looks really significant to me.

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 13:45:47 GMT, "Daniel L. Belton" Gave us:

seal the entire case up with silicone rubber RTV, and fill it with chilled Fluorinert, a DuPont brand perfluorocarbon dielectric fluid.

You can go down to around 20 F below zero with that setup, and never get condensation because all air, and water is displaced.

You could likely push your FSB up to around 3 to 5 hundred MHz with it. Easily.

Cost: Around $480 a gallon. Must pressure seal the case as well, or it will eventually evaporate. Need a couple gallons for a full tower. Also needed2 would be the chiller equipment, and the pump

Reply to
DarkMatter

On Wed, 03 Dec 2003 05:20:16 -0900, Floyd Davidson Gave us:

18 Mhz on the FSB does make for a gain, but it could very well have been differences in mating efficiency that accounts for much of it.
Reply to
DarkMatter

OEM installations are probably done under greater stress and are therefore going to consist of shoddy skills. I pulled my old computer apart in search of salvageable surface mount components and board hardware and the heatsink grease from the processor must have been applied with a mop as there was a streak of that leaked several inches from the cpu where it had been applied in a giant glob. Too much is just as bad as not enough.......I dont think you will see a noticebale difference between brands when applied in a like manner.

Reply to
cornytheclown

Wow, I bet your editor just screams! ;-)

Hey, lets be honest. It is *fun* to do, but it doesn't make a significant difference (other than in how fast your heart beats as you test it again).

A 50% speed increase is almost significant. A 100% increase is worth at least a little effort, but not much. Speed increases are only worth spending money on if you get something more than a 2x increase.

A 10% increase is not noticable to users, and requires sophisticated equipment to even verify.

But most of all, every 18 months there is another cpu available at twice the speed...

--
Floyd L. Davidson
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                         floyd@barrow.com
Reply to
Floyd Davidson

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 00:29:34 GMT, "Daniel L. Belton" Gave us:

snipped previous

What are the bench numbers though?

Or better yet... how many seti units per day can it do?

I have one here that does 17 a day, WHILE I still use the machine or whatever I wish. Dual CPU.

Seti performance is largely regarded as a very good perf bench, as there are 4.8 million users, and many of those quite prestigious firms. The per unit time is a very good indicator of you machine, regardless of what a math bench or other aggregate bench "tells" you.

I have nearly 14k units done, placing me in the 99.81 percentile. That puts 91,430 people or groups in front of me.

Still, not bad out of 477780001 users, most of which have only done one unit and quit... wussies. My seti operations have never slowed my machine. I do turn it off when I burn discs at fast rates to minimize the chance of a failed burn.

Anyway... good bench to try and report on.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Yes, and the cost per Mhz gain would be much higher than the cost per Mhz gain for a tube of arctic silver :)

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

You are correct... there is not nearly as noticable gain from overclocking a system as there was just a few years ago. It is still fun to try and tweak a few mhz out of it....

Reply to
Daniel L. Belton

On Thu, 04 Dec 2003 06:23:45 GMT, "Daniel L. Belton" Gave us:

So what? Cost was never the question when OCing was mentioned.

It isn't much different than those machine wars.

My screamin' box would outperform all. That holds value with most OCers.

Reply to
DarkMatter

Wow, I feel like such an insignificant wuss, not having my CPUs running 24/7 on such an important project.

Leonard Caillouet

Reply to
Leonard Caillouet

On Thu, 4 Dec 2003 07:56:34 -0500, "Leonard Caillouet" Gave us:

Trust me, that is NOT why you ARE an insignificant wuss.

Reply to
DarkMatter