PIC example : using a diode as temperature sensor

Hi,

I would like to share this idea with you :

I describe how to use a simple silicon diode as a temperature sensor with a PIC, to make a cheap, quick and nasty digital thermometer

Questions & comments are welcome !

Thanks,

Bruno

Reply to
BrunoG

Nice pictures. One thing though (I am so sorry, but I can't help myself): it is "analog" not "analogic".

--DF

Reply to
Deefoo

Yes, looks interesting. Here is an experiment I put together. It uses a second diode to ballance out the one sensing temperature. With the values shown, I get about a 1 volt change with my finger on one of the diodes. Also, this circuit works with just a +5 supply on the op-amp making it great for interface to microcontrollers.

Luhan

Reply to
Luhan

"Deefoo" a écrit dans le message de news:

444784d4$0$6689$ snipped-for-privacy@news.wanadoo.fr...

Ouch ! You are right, sorry for the "frenchism"...

Thanks ;-)

Bruno

BrunoG

Well, I know what I'll be playing with next winter. This is on my list. I'm a PIC16F84/628/877 bigot, so here's an excuse to get a PIC w/ ADC.

--
Michael
Reply to

That's okay, but in the old days I just kept a single assembly of diode already soldered to long teflon insulated leads and used the diode check function on the Fluke VOM, which reports Vf to one part in 4000 or something, to read the temperature rise. I also upgraded this to measure water temperature when I was canning tons and tons of homemade cucumbers for pickles- yummmm- a 10 year supply of perfectly formed, flavorful and naturally produced pickles grown from five plants on a trellis not 10' long.

Reply to
Fred Bloggs

"Homemade" cucumbers? ;)
Reply to