Ionic Mist/fog makers

This may be off topic, but I cant think of a better group to at least find a lead.

I am speaking of these new Ionic mist machines that are being sold. Glass bowl filled with water uses an electric oscillator of some sort to produce a cool fog like mist. They also claim that these units produce negatively charged ions and help clean the air, any truth to this?

I am curious as to how the device works, how simple it is, and if it would be possible to make one, perhaps on a larger scale in order to produce larger volumes of mist/fog. The application would be for high humidly greenhouses/grow rooms( no I am not growing pot) or as a cool mist humidifier in a home.

Thanks Brandon

Reply to
Brandon

A drawback to the ultrasonic device you describe is that not just the water but everything in it gets sent into the air. Use hard water and you end up with mineral dust all over the place pretty quickly. Using DI water is the only way around it.

Reply to
Michael

find a

You're OK, it's right-on topic.

Glass

produce a

would

Or as a method of introducing steam at the intake of your car engine for more power, cleaner burning and better economy.

My theory - yet to be substantiated is that they work at about 33kHz through a piezo transducer.

So you mean that distilled water is the way to go...?

--
Peter E. Lowrie
Peter Lowrie

De-ionized (DI) water if you can get it free. If not, distilled is fine. You want as close to zero dissolved solids in your source water as possible. In a home, mineral dust gets on - and into - into everything ... CD players, computers, and all other places you don't want it. In your application, greenhouse, you don't want your plants' leaves to be coated with mineral dust. Right?

Reply to
Michael