Space Invaders!

Hi guys, hope you can help! I'm trying to create Space Invaders using video ROMs. I'm creating a hardware schematic to be used on the XESS XS40 development board that contains an embedded 8031 microcontroller and a Xilinx 4010 series deivce. Im downloading it onto that board and running it using a C program. If anyone can provide any tips/hints or web resources on schmatic design or operation it will be greatly appreicated.

Regards

Reply to
outsideedge

You should check out the following:

I've downloaded a few files from there but haven't really done much with them yet.

CTW

Reply to
cwoodring

I'm not clear on what you mean!?! By 'create Space Invaders" do you mean that you're writing your own version of the game? And what do you mean by 'video ROMs'? Considering the original Space Invaders runs on an 8080 I'm assuming you're not attempting to emulate the original?!?

As for hints/tips - I can tell you the original used a bitmapped display. Patterns for invaders/characters were stored in program ROM and drawn to the bitmapped display by program code. There was also a hardware shifter, mapped to a few I/O ports on the 8080, that the game used to generate bitmaps of characters shifted by pixels.

Regards,

Regards, Mark

Reply to
Mark McDougall