How to understand obfuscated IP codes?

Hi,

Good day to all.

If suppose i received a HDL code for FPGA related design and it is obfuscated, how to understand it??? Is there any systematic procedure to perform it??

Thank you in advance.

Regards, SUMATHI G.

Sumathigokul

It could be a nightmare. If you just want to view it as blackbox then run a testbench of your own with your inputs and reference outputs. Many designers have no mercy about readability or comments or documentation.

Alternatively post this on DSPRelated and I guarantee you will get 89 replies at least from the 5 robots there. Seriously

Kaz

kaz

Depends on how complex. Look at the generated RTL perhaps.....

Reply to
David Wade

Wouldn't hold out much hope. On anything sufficiently complex you can have a full description of the low-level implementation, but not enough context to give full understanding of what is actually being implemented.

e.g. Take this description - what does it do?

There is a single bit register, and it gets XORed with the value that is fr om a 1-bit x 256 table, indexed by the 8-bit input, After that the 8-bit nu mber plus the bit is used to index another 10-bit x 512 table, containing s eemingly random values, to generate the final output value.

Reply to
Mike Field

Am Mittwoch, 9. September 2015 14:11:48 UTC+2 schrieb Sumathigokul:

I assume you paid money to get this code. I would request documentation and read it.

For obfuscated code it is really hard to tell a

Reply to
Thomas Stanka