Network Device Driver development question

Hello,
        I am new to embedded network device driver development. We are
developing a device driver for a network chipset and the
microcontroller is M16C based from Renesas. I have seen that most of
the device drivers use ring buffers. What are the benefits of using a
ring buffer. The chipset that we are working on has 14kb TXFIFO and
14kb RXFIFO. Would I have to use ring buffer in addition to these
FIFO's?. I am also keen on achieving  the best performance with the
chipset. The chipset supports both DMA and PIO I/O modes. which mode
would be best?. The M16C microcontroller runs microItron based OS and
also has a TCP/IP stack. I would like to know from the guru's here what
standard guidelines I would have to follow for developing a network
device driver for embedded systems?

Thank you very much for your help!

Re: Network Device Driver development question

Get the data sheets of your network chips and follow
the guidelines on the sheets.

The 14 kbyte buffers are more than enough for normal
TCP/IP use. IMHO, no ring buffers are needed as long
as you're not building a network device (e.g. firewall
or router).

I'm running SMSC LAN91C96's and LAN91C111's with embedded
processors (Atmel AT91 ARM7TDMI) and TCP/IP stacks. The
chips have 6 kilobytes of combined transmit and receive
buffers, and no software ring buffering is used.

A different story is if the TCP/IP protocol stack relies
on the existence of some ring buffering outside of the
stack itself.

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: Network Device Driver development question
14k is a good deal of FIFO, and it would depend on
other factors whether you need any additional
(ring or not) buffers. If you have several connections
receiving simultaneously and one or more must
defragment the IP datagram(s), more buffering might
well be necessary.
As to whether ring or no ring, I personally prefer
bitmap allocation of memory resources because of
better efficiency, but this may be more difficult to
implement and may pose more overhead (on my
PPC based tcp/ip  implementation it does not, but
not all the world is PPC).

Dimiter

Dimiter Popoff               Transgalactic Instruments

http://www.tgi-sci.com