Multi-threaded Sockets Application

Hi all,

I am in the very early stages of writing a multi-threaded
sockets application to enable me to communicate using
TCP/IP to several (upto 255) embedded Ethernet
controllers in VB.Net.

Does anyone have any suggestions for where I could
start to look for ideas for such an application?

Many thanks,

Jason.

Re: Multi-threaded Sockets Application
On Fri, 26 Nov 2004 09:21:22 GMT, jason@no-spam.dive-master.org (Jason

It would help a lot if we knew the target OS or kernel, socket library
and compiler you plan to use.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Re: Multi-threaded Sockets Application
Bob,

thatnks for the feedback.

The embedded device uses a PIC18F micro.  The host device
is Intel based.  The OS will be Windows 2K +.  The
PC based development platform is MS Visual Basic .Net.

Hope that helps.

Thanks,
Jason.

On Sat, 27 Nov 2004 03:58:42 GMT, Bob McConnell

Re: Multi-threaded Sockets Application

If you're talking about visual basic on win2k, c.a.e isn't really the right
place. If you want to talk about that PIC, then you'll probably get more help
here....

--buddy

Re: Multi-threaded Sockets Application
Since I was developing an app that used embedded
micros that we communicated with using VB.Net I
was spreading my questions to a number of groups that
might have had some ideas.  I been forced to
buy a couple of texts to help with my answer.

Thanks,

Jason.

On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 14:16:28 +0000 (UTC), Buddy Smith

Re: Multi-threaded Sockets Application
On Tue, 30 Nov 2004 10:20:12 GMT, jason@no-spam.dive-master.org (Jason

Jason,

One last comment before I leave you. In C++, the trick you are looking
for is called I/O Completion Ports. It's an MS-Windows API that
allocations thread resources for I/O events like receiving data on a
socket.

Good Luck,

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Re: Multi-threaded Sockets Application
On Mon, 29 Nov 2004 13:19:39 GMT, jason@no-spam.dive-master.org (Jason

Last time I checked, VB will only produce single threaded
applications. It cannot be used to create multi-threaded code. You
need to change languages as well as news group for that target.

I have done similar multi-threaded apps with VC++, and have seen code
for VJ++. But I don't do MS-Windows any more. Both development and
support take far more effort than it's worth.

Bob McConnell
N2SPP

Re: Multi-threaded Sockets Application

I'd recommend trying out Python.  Both multi-threading and
socket communications are very easy to do in Python.  And
unless you put some effort into making it non-portable, you'll
be able to run your program under Windows _or_ Linux or
Linux-like systems.

That's an understatement. ;)

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  I have a TINY BOWL in
                                  at               my HEAD