MPLAB C30 problem

Hi

I want to use a dsPIC33EP512GM304 but MPLAB tells me...

pic30-coff-cc1.exe: error: Invalid -mcpu option. CPU 33EP512GM304 not recognized.

MPLAB allows me to select the device type, but there doesn't seem to be a .h file for it.

I really don't want to change to MPLABX as I already have a licence, plus what I have ain't broke and don't need fixing.

Anything I can do?

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

MPLAB X is an IDE. MPLAB X does not have licenses. C30 is a compiler. The Microchip compilers do have licenses. They're not directly related; the IDE does not include the compiler. If your IDE lets you select the device, you might be able to use a newer compiler without upgrading the IDE. You haven't said which version of C30 you're using.

Reply to
John Temples

I just installed version pic30-gcc.exe 3.31 which I believe is the latest, but it doesn't support the GM dsPICs. Unfortunately these are the only ones with 4 UARTs which I need.

I thought I needed a licence (or at least a code) to enable optimisation?

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

Yes, 3.31 is the latest C30. You'd need to move to XC16 to get newer parts support. You need a compiler license to use optimizations higher than -O1.

Reply to
John Temples

Ah well, XC16 it is then. I had thought that merely supplying the right device files to C30 would be enough, and I can't really see why it shouldn't be, after all it'll happily do many dsPICEPxxx variants.

Maybe it's because there's a newer compiler for sale ;-)

Thanks

--
Syd
Reply to