Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY

Microchip Technology has introduced the ENC28J60, a 28-pin 10Base-T
Stand-Alone Ethernet controller with SPI interface. A free TCP/IP stack is
also available for PIC microcontrollers.

http://microcontroller.com/news/microchip_ethernet.asp

-Bill Giovino
 Executive Editor
 http://Microcontroller.com

Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY

To bad this is only a 10 base device, even if the actual data through-put is
much lower then 10 kbit, for compatibility with other devices on the net a
base 100 controler would be desireable.

/Roland

Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY

Why do you say that?  I use networks with a mixture of 100bT
and 10bT devices all the time.  There is not problem with
"compatibility".  Unless you actually need the bandwidth, the
supposed advantage of 100bT over 10bT is pure marketing
bullshit.

I applaud Microchip for make a sound engineering decision
rather than wasting power and silicon on a usless feature.

--
Grant Edwards                   grante             Yow!  Either CONFESS now or
                                  at               we go to "PEOPLE'S COURT"!!

That's almost true, but not quite.  As long as you have switches on your
network, then there is no problem mixing 10bT and 100bT - packets going
from a 100bT PC to a 10bT ENC28J60 will travel at 100 Mb to the switch,
then 10 Mb to the ENC, and vice versa on return.  However, if you have
hubs rather than switches, a single 10bT device on the network will hold
the entire (hubbed) network at 10bT.  Of course, few networks still use
hubs rather than switches, so it's not much of a problem, and I agree it
would be a big waste to add 100bT support to the chip.

Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY

Right.

Unfortunately, as suits rule the purchasing departments,
they will pick a 100bT product from competitor A over
an otherwise superior 10bT product from competitor B.

It sucks...

Greetings,
  Olav

Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY

stack is

Did anyone else notice the power consumption? 250ma at 3.3 volts!! A
CS8900A manages to work at around 50ma at 3.3 volts. What is Microchip
doing with all that extra power? Even 100base-T controllers use less
than 250ma.

Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY

Ouch.  Good catch.

Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY

I suspect a misprint somewhere.  If that is in anything smaller
than a DIP package it would at least need heat sinks to avoid
desoldering itself.

Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY
On Fri, 29 Apr 2005 03:58:11 GMT, the renowned CBFalconer

From what I understand, it's not a misprint.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY
http://www.elecdesign.com/Articles/ArticleID/10118/10118.html

has the power requirement 140mA for the ENC28J60

Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY
On 29 Apr 2005 09:03:13 -0700, the renowned "joep"

The latest revision appears to be better in this regard.

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany
Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY

140 mA is still too much.  LAN91C111 (a 100 MBps part) uses 100 mA typical,
140 mA max.

Anyone have an idea of the price tag for the ENC28J60?

  -jm

Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY

typical,

terve Jukka,

some news mentioned 4.15USD but no quantity

Antti

Re: Microchip Announces World's Smallest Ethernet Controller with MAC and PHY

Thanks.. not too bad, I think.

  -jm

Site Timeline