I am having a nightmarish time with AVR Studio and JTAGICE mkII

Greetings:

I am helping a friend with a small battery charger project.  I chose the
Atmega88 for this project because it has a good mix of peripherals, memory
size and physical size.

I am using Winavr 4.11 to develop the code (which I found to be very easy to
use) and a combination of AVR Studio, STK500 and JTAGICE mkII for debugging.

I am having a hell of time getting AVR Studio to work with JTAGICE mkII. I
have encountered the following problems:

1- The USB interface does not work on the JTAGICE mkII, even where I work (I
am working on PowerPC) they are using the same thing, they can't get the USB
interface to work. The host is a Dell D505 laptop.

2- Perhaps my choice of ATmega88 was not the best choice because it does
have a debugwire interface and not a JTAG interface. Because the debugwire
is also the reset pin, one can not use the debugwire and ISP simultaneously.
It is either debugwire or ISP and the chip has to be re-prgrammed for either
one.

3- The latest revision to the STK500 firmware does not work with avrdude 4.4
or even 4.3. I understand that there is avrdude 5.0 beta that solves this
problem but I could never find it for Windoze and I don't want to switch to
Linux just to be able to use avrdude 5.0.

4- The worst problem is that JTAGICE mkII either loses connection to the
debugwire and ISP or can't find them and I have to unplug the serial port
connection from JTAGICE mkII and connect to the STK500, reconnect the
parallel programing cables on the STK500 and re-program the chip for the
JTAGICE mkII to declare that it can not see the debugwire again.

5- Even at the odd time when the JTAGICE mkII sees the debugwire, I am
seeing ridiculous things, F11 (step into in the AVR Studio) goes through
every line of code indiscriminately after loading the .elf file.

Any bright ideas besides switching to a processor with JTAG interface?
Unfortunately they are at least 40 pins and more expensive and the PCB is
about to be routed (not too late to change though).

Best regards,

Mostafa
Mostafa Kassem
Re: I am having a nightmarish time with AVR Studio and JTAGICE mkII

I've never had any problems with the mkII's usb port with both my desktop
pcs and a Sony Vaio SR1K notebook (all Windows XP). A fried of mine had
problems with ground loops and the STK500, which went away with swapping
polarity on the STK500's power supply.

Why should I use avrdude instead of AVR Studio?

A better way would be developing on a JTAG capable chip (via adapter board)
and porting to a smaller chip after everything is working.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Re: I am having a nightmarish time with AVR Studio and JTAGICE mkII

I tried the mkII with an IBM Thinkpad running Win98SE and the USB interface
did not work either.  The DEll is running Win2K.

Because I suspected the AVR Studio was not programming the chip correctly.
I did a DIFF on the hex file generated by AVR GCC and the hex file read by
AVR Studio from the chip and there was quite a bit of discrepancy.  After I
posted, I came across these two links which confirmed my suspicion.

http://supp.iar.com/Support/?note60%448&from=search+result

http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/avr-gcc-list/2005-05/msg00004.html

Yep, I should have done that from the start. Except that I did not want to
duplicate the work as there is really no direct downgrade path.  Also, I
didn't think it was going to be that difficult as this is my first
experience using AVR and its tools.

Wielen danke.

Mostafa

Mostafa Kassem
Re: I am having a nightmarish time with AVR Studio and JTAGICE mkII

debugging.
(I
USB
simultaneously.
either
4.4

Hello,

I'm using the IAR toolset to generate code but the AVR Studio/JTAGICEMkII
(via USB) combination to debug mega88.

I have seen symptoms very like yours when the ISP pins from the JTAGICE were
connected to the target when using the debug wire. (The docs say that the
ISP pins will be high Z duirng debugWire operations but I think that signals
on them fool the JTAGICE into never properly starting the debugWire
session.)
Whatever the exact cause when I connected ONLY the debugWire pins to the
target it all works fine.

Hope this is some help - please let me know.

Michael Kellett

www.mkesc.co.uk

Re: I am having a nightmarish time with AVR Studio and JTAGICE mkII

Hello Michael:

I decided to take Frank-Christian Krügel's advice and use a processor with
JTAG. So, I switched to the ATMEGA16 that came with the STK500 and things
seem to work much better with the JTAG. I'll switch back to the M88 once
everything is working.

However, in the process of switching I discovered that I may have been
setting the clock fuse to the wrong value and that may have been my problem
all along even when I used only the three wires for the DEBUGWIRE.

Thanks for your post.

Best regards,

Mostafa

Mostafa Kassem