Help on writing my resume

I am an embedded software engineer. I wanted help in writing my
resume. Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks
-- Naren

Re: Help on writing my resume

Keep it to one page.  Include education, experience, special qualifications
(citizenship, security clearances now and in the past, etc).

Did I mention the one-page thing?  Offer to provide more detail if needed.

Re: Help on writing my resume

Include a short description of your career goals near the top of the page,
too.

I've long included detailed empoyment history on the back side of my
otherwise single page resume and have been complemented for doing so.

          Michael Kesti            |  "And like, one and one don't make
Re: Help on writing my resume

OK, I'm a bit confused.  The employment history is essentially _all_
of my resume.  Mine is up to two pages (ASCII text only, it'd be
smaller if typeset).

--
Darin Johnson
    Gravity is a harsh mistress -- The Tick

Re: Help on writing my resume

needed.

Trim it.  Have a second longer resume avilable to read through with your
interviewer.

Re: Help on writing my resume

How hard and fast is that rule, and how universal is it?  That is the
rule of thumb given to newly minted college graduates before they have
anything to include.

When I've interviewed people, the resumes weren't necessarily short,
and I certainly never had anyone hand me their "real" resume at the
interview (I want to read it all over first and mark it up, before I
meet the candidate).

Also, how important is it to have actual "pages"?  My last two jobs I
just sent out email with the resume, nothing was printed, and nothing
had "page marks".  What is the preferred method of getting a resume
anyway, Word (gack), RTF (confuses too many), PDF (too expensive),
HTML (too many browser types), or ASCII?

--
Darin Johnson
    "Look here.  There's a crop circle in my ficus!"  -- The Tick

Re: Help on writing my resume

Never had any problem with 2 or 3 page resumes....
Word ( ug !) although nasty,  seems to be the preferred
format for most HR bimbos

Re: Help on writing my resume

1. Back during the boom days, I just sent a recruiter the URL of my
resume, and would have tons of calls. That isn't so anymore.

2. Most seem to prefer Word, but I heard of some that didn't want Word
(preferred text or .pdf because of the Word viruses circulating
around.

***3. "If the company is a religious end user of Linux, do NOT send a
Word document!", is what I was told last year.

-Mike

Re: Help on writing my resume

Open and re-save with OpenOffice. They'll probably like that.

--
Al Balmer
Balmer Consulting

OpenOffice will also generate a pdf file at the click of a button, most
modern linux distributions have pdf printers set up automatically, and you
can do the same under windows (with ghostscript, or something like cutepdf).
I don't understand why people seem to think generating pdf's is hard or
expensive - it just requires a little thought and web searching.

Re: Help on writing my resume

You're going to get many conflicting opinions on this.

Depends on your audience.

Agents generally stuff thousands of CVs in a database and tell a program to
pick ones with relevant key words. So for them, DO stick in relevant key
words.

Employers expend seconds per CV - they get them in junk mail quantities.
So I would go for the key words on page one in big type.

Make it short and sharp: brevity is the soul of wit.

Don't dilute the impact of your strong key skills by padding it with lots of
minor skills.

Make detail shorter with age, old skills tend to be faded skills.

Two pages seems fine: but the first page has to grab the reader otherwise
they won't bother turning it over.

By all means paint yourself in a good light: even failures can be
educational.
In one short job I did, I learnt that if I can't get a chip feature to work
fairly quickly, then it may well be that the chip makers screwed up big
time! :-)

NEVER LIE.

E.g. if you say you can work a lathe - but can't - you might get asked to
supervise someone and if they get hurt they can sue the company, and the
company can rightly sue you for fraud.

Do have a fuller CV ready if/when you reach the interview stage, and they
want to check the details.

Re: Help on writing my resume

I stuck a tiny "Skills:" section at the top of mine for just this
purpose.

At one company I was at, a contracted recruiter would filter everybody
before sending them on for interviews.  We even had a candidate we
explicitly asked to apply, and we told the recruiter we wanted him,
and the recruiter still turned him down (after lots of shouting on our
part the recruiter changed his mind :-).

This depends.  Are the major skills and the new skills the ones you
_want_ to be working with?  There are certainly many cases where
someone just has to take a job in order to eat, and those three year
old skills may be what they really like doing.

There are people that will filter a resume based on the skills.  Ie,
if the resume says C++ experience but not C, it may be filtered out.
Likewise, if you know a huge number of programming languages and list
them all, a recruiter might still think "hmm, he seems unable to learn
Pascal, too bad".

If you've got the time and information, tailoring the resumes for each
job application could work.  If you know the particular job might
use a minor skill you know, then list it, but don't list it for
a job where it'll never be necessary.

--
Darin Johnson
    "Particle Man, Particle Man, doing the things a particle can"

Re: Help on writing my resume
Whatever you do, DON'T include a paragraph that simply lists every and each
OS, RTOS, word processor, uC emulator, PCB layout application, FPGA design
application, software metrics generator, or other development and test tool
that you may have worked with, talked about, seen on a billboard, dreamt of,
etc.  You get the idea.  I've read a few resumes over the course of my
career, and those types of resumes are tiresome and really easy to ignore.
By listing all of these applications in a single paragraph, without any
context, it gives the impression that the author of the resume is trying to
project the impression that they are masters of all of these applications,
but we all know that this probably isn't the case.

Give context to your skills in your resume.  Answer the question "How did
you use these tools and what problems did you solve?" or something like
that.

All of these things, plus stapling a crisp, new, multicolored US $20 to your
resume will help your resume a lot!

Re: Help on writing my resume
Bob F. said for all posterity...

I'm still surprised at how many resumes do exactly what you just
described.  However, I've seen some job postings that seem to be
almost as bad.

That's not fair and you know it.  Those old $20's are worth just as
much.

Casey

"What happens if you get scared half to death twice?"
                                     -Steven Wright

Re: Help on writing my resume

Read Robin William's "Design book for non designers" for some
"obvious" (when you see them) tips on layout and then print your CV on
Conqueror paper.

Robin

Re: Help on writing my resume
Similarly, I'm an undergraduate Computer Engineering major graduating in
Dec.  Having no employment experience in the hardware or embedded
fields, I was wondering if I should emphasis side projects and school
assignments involving such topics rather than my unrelated work
experiences.  Likewise, should specific course titles be mentioned, or
is this implied by the degree?  How about senior project -- is it best
to list the topic and leave it open to discussion during an interview,
or do employers like to see more specifics?

[Shameless plug.. but here goes]  This is my current version
http://web.njit.edu/~jdl1291/resume/resume.pdf , if anyone has any
comments about it, or recent graduate resumes in general please share!

Thanks,

-- Joe Lawrence
    jdl1291$ snipped-for-privacy@njit.edu

remove the $pam to email.

Re: Help on writing my resume

For myself as an interviewer, any side projects related to the sort of
work you want to do is vastly more important than knowing where you
had summer jobs in retail.  Side projects are more important than
school assignments.  Any idiot can get through school, but very few
bother doing projects when they're not required.

I don't interview a lot of people though, so my opinions won't likely
be the same as someone who has to look at a new resume every day.
By the time I see a resume, the candidate has already been invited to
the interview, and the initial filtering has already been done.  So
what I want to see on a resume of someone I'm going to interview the
next day may not be the sort of stuff that gets you invited to the
interview in the first place.

I'm not sure.  Nothing is implied by the degree of course, except to
alumni of the same school.  But at the same time listing it all is
boring and unnecessary.  If you were allowed elective classes in your
major, then it might be informative to say which topics you took the
electives in; this implies an interest in the subject and that you
didn't just coast through.  Most people reading the resume won't know
or remember what most of the topics are about anyway.

I don't know anything about senior projects.  But if they're
significant accomplishments, then list it.  Ie, if you spent 10 weeks
on it, came up with your own topic, and it's relevant to the field
you're entering, I'd certainly want to see it on the resume.

--
Darin Johnson
    Support your right to own gnus.

Site Timeline