gcc for AT91SAM7S64?

Hello,

Is any one using gcc on this part?
I have used gcc with a 7520 Netsilicon ARM7, but I wasn't sure if that means
it will work with any ARM7.
I assume this should be the same instruction set, but has different mix of
peripherals and things are at
different addresses.  Am I on the right track with that assumption?
Any comments regarding problems or successes would be appreciated.

Andy

Re: gcc for AT91SAM7S64?

I have used GCC with an AT91SAM7X256 - which is basically the same - albeit
with a commercial IDE front end.  See here
http://www.freertos.org/portsam7xlwIP.html (direct link so you won't get the
menu frame).  I didn't experience any problems at all.

means

ARM7 core is always the same.  As you say, what does differ are the
peripherals.  In particular the interrupt controller.  For example the SAM7
AIC is different from the Philips LPC200 VIC.  The principals are the same,
but the usage differs.

If you are a Windoze user then check out http://www.gnuarm.org .

Regards.
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: gcc for AT91SAM7S64?
work with any ARM7.
SAM7
same,

How is GCC for arm7 these days. I forgot what version I had but when the
ARM7 came out and I used it to program for gameboy advance, its code was
shit. It has huge problems with nesting statements. I would have a program
crash and cut paste functions into different orders and recompile and it
would work, crazy things like that. I think this was back in 2000.

Re: gcc for AT91SAM7S64?

I know there were a lot of problems in the early versions.  In particular
with code gen for interrupt routines.  I am told there are still bugs in the
current version, but I have used some of its more quirky features and never
come across any.  The exception being in some of the optimisation - which
can be very aggressive and not do what you want - but I have found this in
GCC targeted at other architectures also so is not specific to ARM7.

The 'quality' of the code is not an absolute and depends on your
requirements.  If you want code gen that is understandable and does the
'right thing', then I would say my experience is that the code quality now
is good.  If you want code gen that is the most efficient possible for size
or speed, then the quality falls short of commercial compilers, especially
with its register usage.

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org

Re: gcc for AT91SAM7S64?

There is a marked step in GCC code generation for ARMs at GCC
version 3.0 - the whole code generation was rewritten and the
ARM and Thumb compilers integrated together.

The old (2.95) ARM GCC is not to be recommended.

I'm using version 3.2.1, and I'm happy with it
(and a couple of hundreds of kilobytes of generated
embedded ARM code for ARM7TDMI, Atmel AT91).

--

Tauno Voipio
tauno voipio (at) iki fi

Re: gcc for AT91SAM7S64?
means

IIRC netsilicon is big-endian where as most ARM stuff is little-endian. The
compiler will need to know.

Peter

Site Timeline