FPGA configration Data/Firmware

Hi all

I have no idea regarding low level hardware. I should firgure out something about ALTERA ACEX. Question is like following.

1.Are the FPGA configuration data and the firmware different? 2.How can I extract FPGA configuration data from ALTERA ACEX to my PC? 3.How can I extract firmware in EEPROM to my PC?

P.S What I want to do finally is extrating data from FPGA and EEPROM and then copy to another fresh FPGA/EEPROM

Reply to
jdy0803

If you didn't understand the answer that you were given three days ago then you have a lot of learning to do. Go to

and study pages like this one

But here are the answers to your questions.

1) My understanding is that firmware is program code and the Altera doesn't use firmware. OK, I hear you guys say, what if it is running an embedded processor like NIOS? In that event it will need firmware but since you already need an external processor to configure the system then why would you also want a NIOS? 2) The configuration data is likely to be embedded in the EEPROM that also contains the external microprocessor's firmware. The first thing that this processor will do is to upload the configuration from it's EEPROM to the Altera. 3) Extract firmware from an EEPROM with an EEPROM programmer.

If you want to copy the circuit, you'll have to include the microprocessor and the EEPROM code.

Peter

Reply to
Peter