FORTH on the HP-75C

Here is another one.  I have an HP-75C and heard that HP had an
unsupported FORTH for this machine.  Anyone know about this? Thanks.

Re: FORTH on the HP-75C

Yet another one.
I have this Atari Portfolio, bought when it had become surplus.
This thingy has all the features of a good palmtop, that you
can't buy anywhere:
    Standard AA cells, so you can use rechargable batteries.
    Over a full day of battery life.
    Non-back light, visible in direct sunlight
    Reasonable keyboard in querty layout.
    Sturdy as hell.

The only palmtop I know off that could serve a whole day
on the beach, and survives.

Now it is extremely closed, and limited (128 kbyte for data).
Has anyone succeeded in getting a Forth onto it?

I would love to replace the innards with a 1 Mbyte RAM
1 Gbyte flash system. Does anyone even have a hint how to
even open the case?

Groetjes Albert

Re: FORTH on the HP-75C

Well, except for the keyboard, the Palm IIIx or Handspring Visor (both
of which I own) meet all of those criteria.  The Palm IIIx battery life
was a few months with normal use and it has a very nice Forth (Quartus)
which I used for many happy hours, sitting on the beach.  Unfortunately,
everything seems to be moving away from long battery life and toward
flashy graphics (which I don't need) and MP3 playback (which I also
don't need).

Ed

Re: FORTH on the HP-75C

Hello Albert,

yes, I run forth on the Atari Portfolio. There are several Forth systems
that run, I can assemble and send you my collection of PoFo Programming
languages if you like.

I have a PoFo Upgraded to 512 KB --> http://gem.win.co.nz/mb/pofo /
PL1 Language is interesting --> http://leute.server.de/peichl/pfe.htm
Min4TH can run on an unmodified PoFo -->
http://www.umich.edu/~archive/atari/Portfolio/Languages/min4th25.lzh

Ciao

Carsten

Re: FORTH on the HP-75C

Here is my list of Forth Systems that run on an unmodified Atari Portfolio:

* FIG Forth 8086-1A
* FIG Forth 8088-1B
* DX-FORTH - http://www.alphalink.com.au/~edsa /
* hForth86 - http://www.taygeta.com/hforth.html
* UniForth - http://www.umich.edu/~archive/msdos/un_indexed/uniforth.arc
* GNU Forth 5.0 8086 Target
* VolksForth - volks4th.arc

Not tested:

* eForth
* zenForth

I send you a package with my PoFo Forth Directory.

I would be interested to work on a Forth Version, maybe based on
VolksForth, with special support for the Atari Portolio Machines (Tiny
Screen Editor, Graphics, Special BIOS calls ...)

Ciao

Carsten Strotmann

Re: FORTH on the HP-75C

Sure. There's both a Mini Forth and UniForth for the Atari Portfolio:

http://www.atari-portfolio.co.uk/library/pages/tx-language.html

Basically, the Atari Portfolio is a MS-DOS PC, so it should be possible to
port any DOS 8086 Forth to it.

--
Bernd Paysan