ES dilemma

Hi,

I have a computer systems degree and I've been working as a systems administrator for more that 2 years, the interest in embedded systems has been growing in the last few months to the point that I am considering changing career in that direction.

I found some good MSc in ES that I could attend in order to get some knowledge in the subject and in order to present something to the future employers. Some people are telling me that there is no need to spend money and time on a master cause I could study and practice on my own while still working.

What do you think? Which is the best way to learn and to eventually find a job? And how easy do you think it is to switch from computer science to embedded systems?

Thanks a lot to all that will be so kind to respond.

Thank you.

Davide.

Reply to
Davidelan

Getting some EE education under your belt would be a good thing. If this is part of the MSc in ES then don't knock it. The place that the system is embedded is in the middle of some electronics, which is further embedded in a product. Your job is usually to read real-world values and make real-world things happen, so you are _much_ closer to the hardware.

When I have been involved with hiring someone for an embedded software position we always made sure that the candidate knew how to get information out of a schematic, even if it was by asking for help, ditto for hooking up an oscilloscope (but you have to be able to read it and say what's going on).

Be prepared to take a temporary cut in seniority and pay: systems administration and even writing application software is a different world than embedded systems. This would be a minor problem, except that a lot of people who write applications for desktops aren't aware of the fact and assume more competence than they actually have. This problem is compounded by the fact that management often doesn't realize that someone who can write killer networking apps doesn't naturally fit in with a team making motors move from credit-card sized boards. An over-confident desk-top applications engineer with management support can make huge nasty messes of embedded software that take years to clean up. I would recommend that you take the attitude that you're a beginner with some special knowledge, that you expect to learn and advance quickly, but that you're not going to assume that your current knowledge means much.

Don't let all this stop you, though. Get a copy of "what color is your parachute". It drives a lot of people up the wall, but it's meant as a guide for career changers, which is what you are, and should have some useful information.

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Hello Davide,

Tim summed it up nicely. I'd like to add one thought: Get yourself a few prototypes, a programmer and software (compiler/debugger). For the MSP430, as an example, this won't cost more than about $100, with the basic software being free. Then experiment to your heart's desire, the more the better.

Whenever I interviewed people I paid less attention to their credentials but more to hands-on skills. Like Tim mentioned, I'd place a problem in front of them and then let them talk, sketch, draft, suggest.

Regards, Joerg

Joerg