Embedded system with 8 each ethernet and serial ports?

I've succeeded in simulating my intended system in Labview and I'm very happy with the results. It's a rather basic data logger/monitor for 8 ethernet and 8 serial sevices (simultaneously.) However, now I'm having trouble finding an embedded system (not a PC with a load of PCI I/O cards) that can provide the needed ports. I like the BlackFin evaluation board on ni.com, but it looks like ethernet and serial ports max out at 2 each, even with daughter cards added on.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a Labview-friendly eval board with a CPU, some memory, and 8 each ethernet and serial ports? Performance requirements are very low (10/100 ethernet max, 56k serial half- duplex.)

Alternately, is there any way to add serial and ethernet hubs/switches to the BlackFin eval board?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Reply to
randyest

Why can't you use a 16-port switch for the ethernet? Use 8 ports for the

8 devices, and a 9th for the eval board.

8 Serial ports is easier to find than 8 eth ports, methinks.

Reply to
none

For Ethernet there is the Microchip ENC28J60 Mac/Phy with SPI interface. For UART there are MAX3110E/3111E SPI UARTs with integrated level shifter.

So you only need a single SPI interface and 16 CS lines for all external ports.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Reply to
Frank-Christian Kruegel

Could I suggest the Parallax Propeller which I have been using lately. As it has eight 20MIP 32-bit CPUs (no uarts) in a low-cost QFP44 I find it ideal for implementing multiple serial ports. Each CPU can be dedicated to implement at least one full-duplex port if not more depending upon the speed. Half-duplex operation up to 1.5Mb is possible so your application sounds tame.

For the ethernet side could I suggest the Silabs CP2201 using a 8-bit multiplexed bus so that 11 I/O are involved altogether. The Microchip part is rather power hungry at 250ma vs the Silabs 75ma typical.

*Peter*
Reply to
Peter Jakacki