Embedded system with 8 each ethernet and serial ports?

I've succeeded in simulating my intended system in Labview and I'm
very happy with the results.  It's a rather basic data logger/monitor
for 8 ethernet and 8 serial sevices (simultaneously.)  However, now
I'm having trouble finding an embedded system (not a PC with a load of
PCI I/O cards) that can provide the needed ports.  I like the BlackFin
evaluation board on ni.com, but it looks like ethernet and serial
ports max out at 2 each, even with daughter cards added on.

Does anyone have any suggestions of a Labview-friendly eval board with
a CPU, some memory, and 8 each ethernet and serial ports?  Performance
requirements are very low (10/100 ethernet max, 56k serial half-
duplex.)

Alternately, is there any way to add serial and ethernet hubs/switches
to the BlackFin eval board?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Embedded system with 8 each ethernet and serial ports?

Why can't you use a 16-port switch for the ethernet? Use 8 ports for the
8 devices, and a 9th for the eval board.

8 Serial ports is easier to find than 8 eth ports, methinks.

Re: Embedded system with 8 each ethernet and serial ports?

For Ethernet there is the Microchip ENC28J60 Mac/Phy with SPI interface.
For UART there are MAX3110E/3111E SPI UARTs with integrated level shifter.

So you only need a single SPI interface and 16 CS lines for all external
ports.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

Frank-Christian Krügel

Re: Embedded system with 8 each ethernet and serial ports?

Could I suggest the Parallax Propeller which I have been using lately.
As it has eight 20MIP 32-bit CPUs (no uarts) in a low-cost QFP44 I find
it ideal for implementing multiple serial ports. Each CPU can be
dedicated to implement at least one full-duplex port if not more
depending upon the speed. Half-duplex operation up to 1.5Mb is possible
so your application sounds tame.

http://www.parallax.com/propeller/index.asp

For the ethernet side could I suggest the Silabs CP2201 using a 8-bit
multiplexed bus so that 11 I/O are involved altogether. The Microchip
part is rather power hungry at 250ma vs the Silabs 75ma typical.

http://www.silabs.com/tgwWebApp/public/web_content/products/Microcontrollers/Interface/en/CP220x.htm

*Peter*

Site Timeline