efficient software n language to program ATMega32 microcontroller

Though I'm not new to programming microcontrollers, I have never
worked on ATMega32 microcontrollers. Please, let me know which
software n language would be the best to program ATMega32
microcontroller.

Please let me know as soon as possible.

Thanks.
Archana.

Re: efficient software n language to program ATMega32 microcontroller
Hi Archana,

I have completed several successfully projects using ATMEL processors.  M
language of choice is C, and my compiler of choice is CodeVisionAVR.
have tried other packages, but I have been very happy with the performanc
and support of the CodeVisionAVR product.  They have a trial versio
(memory and feature limited) that should give the basic feel.

Good Luck
Gene

Re: efficient software n language to program ATMega32 microcontroller

I think most AVR coders use the free gcc compiler and AVR Studio. The
AVR platform has the best free IDE for use with gcc. You owe it to
yourself to try the free tools first unless money is of no concern.

see www.avrfreaks.net for good forums and tutorials on AVR.

Eric

Re: efficient software n language to program ATMega32 microcontroller

Your choices normally boils down to:

gcc (win-avr)
IAR Embedded Workbench
Codevision
Imagecraft

I think you will find that gcc is popular everywhere (beeing free)
My (highly) subjective feeling is that IAR and somewhat
Imagecraft are beeing popular in Europe,
and Imagecraft, Codevision beeing popular in the U.S due to lower cost.

IAR has traditionally, generated the best code density,
but I have not tried the other tools for the last year.
This means that companies with large volume, then to use IAR.

Codevision has a nice tool to initialize the CPU.
You can of course use the free version to generate C code to use on the
other
compilers :-).

AVR Studio can be used with all.
There has been a project management plugin for gcc for some time now.
Imagecraft just announced their Plugin for AVR Studio

"V1.00 of the Studio plugin has been released:
http://www.imagecraft.com/pub/code_samples/AVR/AvrIccPluginSetup.msi
This plugin allows you to use AVR Studio as the IDE to run the ICCAVR
compiler. Requires our compiler (7.14A or later) , AVR Studio 4.12 or
higher and .NET Framework 2.0. Version: V1.00, released Sept 24 2007"

BTW: You should look at the ATmega324P which is pincompatible
if you are looking at a new project. More bang for the buck...
The ATmega32 will be along for a long time, so if you
have qualifications to go through, it may not make sense to switch.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson