Best ebook reader for PDF datasheets

Hi,

Subject says it all: What ebook reader do people consider the best for reading PDF data sheets ? I see most, if not all ebook readers claim to support PDF, but how well for reading the diagrams and tables in a typical data sheet ? The 9" kindle looks like it might be able to do this, but I have nowhere to actually look at a kindle, and the typical reviews uses novels and magazine type documents to check the functionality. I put my data sheets on a WiFi accessible server, so being able to access these documents directly over WiFi would be great.

Any opinions regarding which devices I should consider, and which devices I should avoid would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Anton Erasmus

Reply to
Anton Erasmus

I'd think a netbook might be more versatile and maybe no more expensive.

And if you don't already use Foxit reader, you should check it out for reading .pdf files.

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

Things that I'd consider (which I haven't found yet)

- Is there an option to reflow text to fit the reading area of the ebook reader in addition to the usual zoom in/out of the original PDF page?

- Can I create my own bookmarks that are then saved with the PDF?

- Can I mark-up pages with highlighting, margin notes, etc.? Even if the PDF is "secured"?

It would be nice to have my whole datasheet collection on a ebook reader but only if they're as useful as sheets of paper...

--
Rich Webb     Norfolk, VA
Reply to

I have not found any of them to be particularly good. Datasheets are often printed in multiple columns, and usually have high resolution pictures in them. If you are anything like me you will find it very, very irksome to futz about with a slow-refresh screen trying to get the text/picture of interest into view, zoomed to a readable level.

For a similar reason the really cheap ($99-$130) Android tablets are not good, due to the slow screen refresh and annoying resistive screens. To avoid hair-pulling you really need a tablet (LCD, not e- ink) that has a frisky processor (fast responsiveness and scrolling), and capacitive touch, not joysticks/keyboards/etc. iPad or Android with a minimum 700MHz processor. DON'T BE FOOLED BY SHANZAI PLACES CLAIMING THEIR PROCESSORS ARE "xxxMHz"!!! Only believe speed numbers from reputable names (Creative, Archos, etc).

Personally, I use a netbook. If I had an iPad, I would probably use that - but since this is the ONLY use I would EVER have for an iPad, I refuse to buy one :)

Reply to
larwe

What's the user-POV difference between capacitive and resistive touch?

--

Tim Wescott
Wescott Design Services

Tim Wescott

Having recently changed phones, my HTC Desire HD seems to do a very good job of this. Quite fast adjustments to reading resolution and skip-over speed.

--

******************************************************************** Paul E. Bennett............... Forth based HIDECS Consultancy Mob: +44 (0)7811-639972 Tel: +44 (0)1235-510979 Going Forth Safely ..... EBA.
Paul E. Bennett

I've had the sony 700,900, kindle 2, and iPad. If you want as close to a paper experience as possible, the kindle was best. However, it's software for a PDF reader leaves much to be desired. The major downside of the epaper displays is the refresh rate. It is very frustrating to search for a page that may be 10 back. I currently have the iPad, and although it is not necessarily an ereader, it is the best electronic PDF reader I have used.

Reply to
jay

I use the $139 Kindle and it has, right now, the complete set of Feynmann's Lectures (which, given their fantastic clarity and quality clearly were NOT written by him without a lot of help), and hundreds of datasheets, along with astronomical papers, mathematical papers, programming documentation, and papers on microbiology. It's easy to carry around and refer to.

It is hard to read with the small display, saved but still not so convenient with the zoom features. But it is worth the small price, easily.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

There is a nice summary here:

-- Roberto Waltman

[ Please reply to the group. Return address is invalid ]
Reply to
Roberto Waltman

The price is not as small, but I use my Kindle DX (the large-format one) to read 8.5"x11"-formatted PDFs all the time - works great, and my eyes are 51 years old. The e-Ink is slow, but for actual reading, the page turn time isn't bad - about the same as a regular book. Searching (flipping through the pages) is a bit tedious.

Having a battery life that's measured in weeks instead of hours is great, and the clarity of the display is also very good, in virtually any light no darkness, of course).

-- Mark Moulding

Reply to
Mark Moulding

I completely agree about the large display. But I cannot justify the extra cost, despite what I expect to enjoy from it. There is a risk of losing it (I can afford to lose $139.) There is a risk of breaking it (again...) But the DX is very attractive. Not at the price, to me, yet.

I'm 55, so I'm with you regarding eyes. And yes, I love the long battery life of the $139 kindle version. It's almost impossible to notice the battery draining and I NEVER worry about it, at all. It's a great relief.

I recently (two weeks ago) had my kindle broken by a Costco employee (pushed it off the table and onto the floor.) Costco wrote me a check after checking with the top brass about it. So I'm back in the market and so far as I can tell right now, there is no equivalent and I may very well just rebuy it. Still, if I can hold out (and it is hard to do so, I admit) I am considering a look at the new color eInk displays coming out in a few months.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Kirwan

just bumping for something I saw recently;

-tablet-cost-200/

Reply to
1 Lucky Texan

I would love to view PDF files on iPad. It is convenient for seeing anytime and anywhere. On computer, personally, I use Foxite PDF Reader. Hey, one more idea, you can transfer PDF to flipbook and then view them on computer, mobile devices, or iPad etc.

zmcmay

and anywhere.

computer, mobile devices, or iPad etc.

Download the PDF to your iPad over your wifi network and tap the screen. Click on the button that appears in the top right corner:

"Open in iBooks"

The PDF will appear as a selection in a separate iBooks collection called 'PDFs'. Be patient, larger PDFs take a few seconds to load.

Don't Panic! Your main iBooks collection is still there. Just tap 'Library' then 'Collections' in the top left corner to select your regular iBooks or your new collection of PDFs.

Suddenly you can search within the PDF! Tap on your PDF and use the 'magnifying glass' tool in the top right corner.

I use it during library component creation.

It works 'way better than hardcopy.

--Winston

Reply to
Winston

Usually, I'd love to convert PDF to flipping ebook and then read the ebooks on my Android mobile phone. It seems that I can alwasy get more fun from the flipping ebook reading. You can also convert PDF to flipping ebook by flip page software

), or by free tools like Codebox and Flipsnack.

Reply to
zmcmay