audio server

Hi all, any pointers to designs for DIY network attached audio servers / clients? The idea is to have my music everywhere in my appartment, and be able to control it from everywhere (including from my PC). TIA

Steven

Reply to
Steven Van Hulle

If you have a server (or have an old clunker you can use as one), and can run Apache, then Apache::MP3 will work for you. See my radio fivetrees system for an example:

It's also what I use at home. In brief, point it to a directory structure holding the MP3s (one folder per artist, one subfolder per album), and it sorts itself out from there (assuming the MP3 ID tags are set correctly - note that some on radio fivetrees are not [MP3s from a client's site]).

Steve

Steve at fivetrees

I run icecast and ices (shoutcast compatible); very lightweight and robust. For a Win32 client I suggest 'winamp 2.9.1 full' (free on the 'Net); for *nix I suggest 'mplayer'.

Also if you just want to browse and stream audio files from a web browser, configure any web server which supports MIME types to handle what you want, for example: audio/x-scpls for ".pls" playlists, audio/x-mpeg for ".mp3" files, etc. and just GET files by name from a web browser.

Regards,

Michael Grigoni Cybertheque Museum

Reply to
msg

is an example of a company making networked media player. Runs Linux and you can connect using ftp to wired/wireless Kiss devices.

--
Best Regards,
Ulf Samuelsson