[ARM7] MAC7100 and JTAG

Hi,

Where can I find a schematic of JTAG interface for MAC7100 (ARM7DMI)? I would like to programming this uC, but I can't find free programming tools.

Thanks in advance.

--
Piotr Piwko
Reply to

Here are two options (other people can give you more):

  1. Use a CPLD (e.g. Xilinx cool runner) between the parallel port and Mac7100.

  1. Use a micro (e.g. Atmel AVR) and rs232 (Max232) between the serial port and Mac7100.

Which one are you interested in?

PS: Google error, second posting

Reply to
linnix

Hi Piotr,

Use the sdkarm + Amontec JTAGkey - Tiny, only ?29.- sdk4arm (software dev. kit for ARM) includes the OpenOCD JTAG server compatible with the JTAGkey-Tiny, includes GCC GDB + ECLIPSE ...

This low cost bundle will allow you to have a very fast access to your ARM7TDMI via JTAG. HALT RESET RAM ACCESS STEP-BY-STEP ...

The JTAG interface of the ARM7TDMI are all the same.

This sdkarm + Amontec JTAGkey was used for uploading the Philips LPC21xx and Atmel SAM7 internal Flash, but the OpenOCD must be modified for all specific devices! You can take the source code of OpenOCD (yes it 'is free) and modify it for your MAC7100.

If you are in production and need a very robust JTAG interface, please use the JTAGkey instead the JTAGkey-Tiny.

goto

to download the sdk4arm.

Best regards, Laurent

Reply to
Amontec, Larry

linnix wrote: > Here are two options (other people can give you more): >

Hi, Thanks for your replay.

I would like use the second solutions, but I don't know that you mean. What I should do with uC Atmel AVR?

--
Piotr Piwko
Reply to

But what do you want to do ? - doing a new JTAG emulator - accessing your ARM7TDMI via JTAG (as using the Amontec JTAGkey-Tiny)

Regards, Laurent

Reply to
Amontec, Larry

Amontec, Larry wrote > But what do you want to do ?

I want to programming my MAC7121, so I search for schematic of JTAG or something else. I don't want to buy this, but I would like to build it.

--
Piotr Piwko
Reply to

Use the micro to buffer data and translate voltage levels. Start out with the micro at 5V, while talking to the rs232 driver. Download a page of data into the micro. Switch to the target power (2.5V) and switch on the Jtag lines. The rest is standard jtag commands. Don't forget to tri-state and pull the lines to 2.5V while talking to the PC.

Great for buring the 2.5V jtag lines. The Amontec JTAGkey-Tiny is 2.8V to 5V.

Reply to
linnix

Are you sure you want to use these? It's my understanding these are marketted only to automotive related companies. And if you worked for one of them, you'd probably have the budget to buy commercial tools.

I advise the Atmel or Luminary Arm devices for hobbiest and people who work for small companies. The NXP/Philips parts are also worth considering but I'm not real happy with their support.

If if you're a diehard Freescale user, try their new Coldfire devices.

Eric

Reply to
Eric

Probably the same problem. With 1.5V core, 2.5V DDR and 3.3V I/O, the jtag lines should be between 1.5V and 3.3V. I have seen similar requirements with jtag at 2.5V. In any case, don't hock it up with cheap jtag programmer. I have learned my lesson, have you?

Reply to
linnix