Watt meter

Hi,

I am consider to use one of the following watt meter. My question is which one can have more capability to handle large currents and voltages. Which one is better? I know they are old but I have to chose between one of them.

Thanks

Jess

Reply to
Jessica Shaw

One thing that I forgot to mention that can these wattmeters work with 100KHz signals.

Thanks jess

Reply to
jsscshaw88

"Jessica Shaw"

** Not viewable.

Post a direct link to the sale.

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Definitely NOT.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

There is no item number in that link. It is only veiwable from your account.

Post it like this:

by replaing the string of x with the item number to give you alink like this:

Just copy & paste it over the row of x's

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

signals.

The Simpson meter is only calibrated for 60 Hz loads. The inductance in the metering circuit is way too high for 100 KHz.

Reply to
Michael A. Terrell

You're looking at silly money for one that will do that - in days gone by, such wattmeters used a device which combined a filament lamp & thermocouple in the same envelope, some of those were good up to RF.

Unless you're filthy-rich, you may need to look at home made - at least one hobby magazine has published a design that uses modern solid state measuring chips to determine power in a load - IIRC it may have been Elektor, and there's probably at least a PCB available from readers services - if not a full kit.

Reply to
Ian Field

signals.

You can calibrate them to work. That doesn't make them precise, however.

For 100 kHz signals, I'd use an analog multiplier, or a two-channel digital oscilloscope and some math. The input impedances of your current and voltage probes, of course, have to be compensated.

Reply to
whit3rd

"Ian Field"

** That describes a " True RMS Voltmeter" - not a wattmeter.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

That's the way I measure power factor. You need a digital 'scope that multiplies and integrates.

RMS volts * RMS current = apparent power.

Per sample volts * per sample current, integrated over a cycle = true power.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

"Fred Abse"

** Two more for completeness:

  1. RMS voltage squared / resistance = true power.

  2. RMS current squared x resistance = true power.

Important to check that over the frequency range of interest, the resistance value is constant.

Also, the wave must be cyclic and non varying over the test period.

Plus any DC component must be included in the RMS value.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A log/antilog amplifier circuit can be used for a multiplier:

AntiLogAmplifiers.pdf

Another method that works from 1kHz to over 1 GHz:

There's an RF wattmeter kit here for $55 (and some other interesting = items):

And you can probably use something like the dsPIC30F2010 which has six=20

10-bit 500 kS/sec ADCs

Paul=20

Reply to
P E Schoen

Quite so.

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

Phil Allison Inscribed thus:

What Jessica needs is a "Bolometer" ! Though I haven't seen one for many years. They look a little like the old 954 acorn valve.

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

ITYM a calorimeter

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Jasen Betts Inscribed thus:

Yes you're probably right. It must be 45-50 years since I used them to measure RF power. Tiny little things, died at the drop of a hat. :-) About 20mw was the most they could handle. I've probably still got some hiding, in all the junk I should really throw out...

--
Best Regards:
                          Baron.

I used a bolometer mounted in a waveguide to measure power at X-band back in 1949. They couldn't take much more than a 50% overload without burning out and calibrating was tricky!

--
Virg Wall, P.E.
Reply to

--