Speaker resistance and sound energy

I was reading the ARRL handbook (2010) and on page 4.7 there was this sentence:

"it can be said that any device that dissipates power has a definitive value of resistance"

This made me think. I always see speakers modeled 8 Ohms. And this is probably their DC resistance value. But shouldn't the conversion to sound be accounted for somehow since it's a sink on energy delivered?

I thought maybe an inductance should be added to the model but then an inductance is lossless, so where does the sound producing energy come from?

Reply to
M. Hamed

resistance"

their DC resistance value.

--
No, it's their nominal _impedance_.
Reply to

value.

No.

Reply to
Ken

resistance"

their DC resistance value. But shouldn't the conversion to sound be accounted for somehow since it's a sink on energy delivered?

inductance is lossless, so where does the sound producing energy come from?

DC resistance is usually a healthy fraction of the rated AC impedance, like 3/4 maybe. Which indicates that speakers are pretty inefficient.

Of course, impedance is usually a wild function of frequency, not a steady 8 ohms. And if there's a crossover, there will be series capacitors that will look open to an ohmmeter, and inductors too.

Sound is produced by the voice coil moving in the magnetic field, with a component of the motion being mechanically lossy because of the sound produced. It's like a motor driving a load, where the mechanical load reflects back as electrical resistance.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

sentence:

of resistance"

their DC resistance value. But shouldn't the conversion to sound be accounted for somehow since it's a sink on energy delivered?

inductance is lossless, so where does the sound producing energy come from?

look

--
No, it's like a voltage source driving a motor which is driving a load
where the mechanical load reflects back as electrical resistance.
Reply to
John Fields

"M. Hamed"

** Not exactly. 8 ohms ( or whatever) is the"nominal impedance" of the speaker - usually measured with a 250 or 400Hz tone.

The DC resistance of the voice coil is about 80% of that number or about 6.4 ohms.

The impedance of most ( bass or full range ) speakers in the range of 250 to

400 Hz is RESISTIVE too.

So, we have two resistances that dissipate heat, one the copper wire and the other due to losses in the moving suspension, magnet assembly and sound radiation.

Sound radiation accounts for barely 1% of the input power, in most cases.

A good circuit model for a loudspeaker is not a simple one, it would have many inductances, resistances and capacitances involved - plus the resistances would each have temperature co-efficient.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

resistance"

their DC resistance value. But shouldn't the conversion to sound be accounted for somehow since it's a sink on energy delivered?

inductance is lossless, so where does the sound producing energy come from?

Speakers are rated in impedance a combination of resistance and inductive reactance. And a real speaker would have different impedances at different frequencies, air density, cabinet design, cone compliance, magnet design, etc..

I think I remember reading somewhere that speakers are rated in impedance at 1,000 cycles - but doubtless that wouldn't hold true for a tweeter... would it?

Reply to
default

Thank you for the thorough explanation. As it often happens my false assumptions led to false conclusions.

I remember a couple years ago I created a toy speaker out of magnet wire and a strong magnet. I remember how I carefully wound the coil to measure 8 Ohms DC. How naive I was :-)

Reply to
M. Hamed

assumptions led to false conclusions.

strong magnet. I remember how I carefully wound the coil to measure 8 Ohms DC. How naive I was :-)

You were only about 20% off. In audio, that's high precision.

Precision electronic instrumentation
Custom timing and laser controllers
Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links

assumptions led to false conclusions.

a strong magnet. I remember how I carefully wound the coil to measure 8 Ohms DC. How naive I was :-)

You trying to start an audiophoolery fight?

Mikek :-)

Reply to
amdx

I like the way they used to (maybe still?) describe horn loudspeaker transducers as "motors".

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

The "motor" part of a loudspeaker is the linear motor, not the entire assembly.

Reply to
krw

Or drivers.

--

John Larkin Highland Technology Inc

jlarkin at highlandtechnology dot com

Precision electronic instrumentation Picosecond-resolution Digital Delay and Pulse generators Custom timing and laser controllers Photonics and fiberoptic TTL data links VME analog, thermocouple, LVDT, synchro, tachometer Multichannel arbitrary waveform generators

^^^^^^^^^^^

See above

                                       (Richard Feynman)
Reply to
Fred Abse

The cone is part of the transducer (the entire loudspeaker). It is not part of the motor.

Reply to
krw

Richard Feynman is a man for whom I have great respect. I have learned much from reading books by Feynman, and much more from watching videos of his lectures. Yet still I see quotes of things Feynman has said, which I had not seen before, that are valid today, years after his death. Thanks. Eric

Reply to
etpm