Realizations with transistors and capacitors in an emitter follower

Actually, the speakers *do* have a polarity. It's human hearing that doesn't have a polarity (much). For most sounds, you can't tell the difference between normal and inverted. You can tell on isolated loud bass drum hits, if you have a switch so you can easily change polarity, but it's not a huge difference and it's not obvious which polarity is "right" under most circumstances.

Speaker polarity is critial for stereo. What matters is that both speakers be wired the same way. If you reverse one, the low frequency output will be reduced because one is moving out while the other is moving in, essentially cancelling each other.

Best regards,

Bob Masta DAQARTA v3.50 Data AcQuisition And Real-Time Analysis

Scope, Spectrum, Spectrogram, FREE Signal Generator Science with your sound card!

Reply to
Bob Masta

On Feb 24, 11:21 am, "M. Hamed" gave a very clear description of a phenomenon he had observed. I was wondering if you could answer a probably easy basic question for me. The clipping that you observed was related to the transistor turning off? If an NPN transistor, in an emitter follower configuration say, does not get enough current, will that alone cause it to turn off? In other words, perhaps the emitter voltage can go so low that not enough electron current is drawn through the emitter resistor to keep it on?

Thanks very much.

Reply to
lcorbin

An NPN emitter follower turns off if its emitter is not pulled negatively enough by its load to keep the base-emitter junction forward biased enough to keep current flowing through that junction.

When M. Hamed's input signal swung negative, the output capacitor held the emitter very near the zero signal voltage, while the base swung negatively. This base swing eliminated the base-emitter junction forward bias, and turned the transistor off, leaving only the feeble 5k pull down resistor to slowly discharge the output capacitor, while passing a tiny current through the 8 ohm speaker in series with them.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to
John Popelish

Naaah! It was probably the hole current ;-)

...Jim Thompson

That's a minority opinion.

John

ShamShoon

Hi John. If I may interject here, correct me if I'm wrong. The problem to me seems more current related than voltage related. The base of the transistor never goes negative because it's riding on top of the DC bias signal. The same for the emitter, it never goes to 0, unless you were talking in small-signal terms. So it seems to me that once the emitter goes below the bias point, the transistor can not pass the current in the reverse direction (neglecting the small current passing in the 5k), so as the output voltage goes very slightly below zero, the emitter current decreases gradually (by KCL) and that causes Vbe to decrease (by Ebers-Moll relation), until it's totally zero. So my understanding here is that in this case, it's the current decrease that led to forward bias decrease until disconnection.

Does that make sense?

Regards,

Reply to
ShamShoon

...Jim Thompson

They are interconnected. Voltage drives current.

The base voltage swing is driven by the input signal. The emitter voltage is a result of the current through the transistor dropping voltage across the emitter load. Once the base emitter ceases to be forward biased, no current passes through the collector-emitter path, so the emitter load is left floating (with the transistor effectively disconnected from it) and does not follow the base voltage any more negative.

--
Regards,

John Popelish
Reply to