PIC microcontroller

google for bootloader. mike

-- Return address is VALID but some sites block emails with links. Delete this sig when replying. . Wanted, PCMCIA SCSI Card for HP m820 CDRW. FS 500MHz Tek DSOscilloscope TDS540 Make Offer Wanted 12" LCD for Compaq Armada 7770MT. Bunch of stuff For Sale and Wanted at the link below. MAKE THE OBVIOUS CHANGES TO THE LINK

mike

I just purchased a PIC microcontroller. I've used an eval board for the motorola HC11 and it had a serial port built it. How do i connect a PIC uC to the computer to upload code?

Thanks!

Reply to
matt

There are a hundred different models of PIC controllers.

Many of those can be programmed with inexpensive programmers available on Ebay that will connect to your serial port or sometimes to your usb port. Search Ebay for pic programmer to get some idea of the variety available. Often you can get one of these for under $20.

Reply to
Don Taylor

Which one?

It also has code to load applications too. It's called a bootloader.

A raw PIC requires a programmer. Here is a PICLIST page that lists a bunch of them:

I have a programmer of my own design that can be used to dump code in a pinch. You can find the Trivial Programmer here:

Since you are used to bootloaders, I would suggest that you continue down that path with your PIC. You can find out a lot about PIC bootloaders on the Tiny bootloader page:

Be very aware of the fact that you still need a traditional PIC programmer to get the bootloader code into the PIC. It's one of the primary purposes of my Trivial Programmer series.

Good luck with your PIC stuff. You may want to subscribe to the PICList. There are well over 2000 PIC enthusiasts there that will be happy to answer questions that you may have. The PICList site is a virtual encyclopeadia of PIC information.

Hope this helps,

BAJ

Reply to
Byron A Jeff