OT: Best Stud Locator?

Yep. I've been known to drill "test" holes ;-) ...Jim Thompson

My method is to knock on the ceiling until I think I'm close, then I push a sewing needle in, if I hit wood, I move 1/2 inch and try again. I use 1/2 the distance idea after that. I do this until I know both edges of the stud or joist. I usually hold the sewing needle in a small pair of vice grips, makes it easy in and out. Any extra holes are small enough that I don't concern myself about them. This has worked well a dozen times in my drywall made walls. Oh you want a Stud Locator, sorry haven't used one for 30 years. Mikek

Reply to
amdx

I have several stud finders (actually edge finders) made by Zircon. The one I managed to find is a Studsensor i65. The LCD display is much easier to use than a row of LEDs type. Buy several so that when the neighbor borrows yours and doesn't return it, you are still functional.

As someone mentioned previously, there can be problems dealing with foil backed insulation if it is improperly installed. There is suppose to be a small air gap between the foil and the back of the drywall. That makes it easy for the stud finder to see the change in density. However, if someone installed the insulation over the studs, and then nailed the drywall over the edges, the aluminum will shield the stud and the stud finder is not going to work. I've seen this exactly once on an owner built home, so I wouldn't worry about it much.

Hint: Heavy tools hit the ground rather hard. I suggest you store them on shelves, where a crash landing isn't as likely.

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

And, what the heck is wrong with the streetwalker on 5th and Main?

Reply to
Robert Baer

OK; the "better" of the 2 types i have seen is basically the capacitive type; Zircon "StudSensor 2 (TM)". Pat 4,099,118 "A portable sensor adapted to be moved along a wall to indicate a change in the dielectric constant of the wall thereby to signal the presence of a wall stud within the wall." Have seen 2-3 brands counting this one.

Reply to
Robert Baer

I have one of those, I think it must be called a 'NEWS' as it has those letters printed around the circumference.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

"Rafters" are what keeps the roofing out of the attic. "Joists" are what keeps the attic out of the livingroom. ;-)

Reply to
krw

You continue to demonstrate your ignorance. In a vaulted ceiling, rafters are what keep the roof from falling into the living area. I suppose that you are too ignorant to have considered vaulted ceilings.

Feel free to reply to the newsgroups, but don't bother responding to me. Both you and bloggs share the same room in the Loony Bin; I will not see your reply.

Reply to
RosemontCrest

No, I just didn't bother thinking up all exceptions for pedantic loons.

You're lying, obviously. All lefties are liars. It's in their DNA.

Reply to
krw

The joists hold up the ceiling battens, which are what the ceiling lining (of what ever type) is attached to. that's what a stud finder will find if used overhead.

--
umop apisdn

Jasen Betts

Thanks to all who recommended magnets! Futzing over locating a stud in a exterior wall, foil-backed drywall, foamed insulation, my Zircon locator was giving flaky results. Rummaged thru my desk drawer and got out my stack of magnets... now I have a line marked from top to bottom ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Singles bars. ;-)

Reply to
cameo

This one has a nice output, you can check reviews about what materials it works well with.

Mikek

amdx

I don't know, when was her last checkup?

amdx