OT: Are you now or have you ever been a climate skeptic?

Are you now or have you ever been a climate skeptic?...

...Jim Thompson

I'm pretty sure the reason for the Fermi Paradox is that intelligent creatures like to debate things with each other so much that they don't act right up until the point the exponentially growing lillies have covered half the proverbial pond.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

I read the article and I found virtually no information. There are a few items of fact, such as, "The ranking Democrat on the House Natural

universities about seven researchers"... and "Wei-Hock Soon, a scientist at the Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics whose work has been critical of the climate-change ?consensus,? didn?t adequately disclose support for his research from energy interests" and "John Holdren"... "challenged Pielke on droughts, citing various research showing that they may be getting worse."

None of this is damning evidence. It is only when the right wing spin is added that it sounds so heinous. I don't care what the political views of anyone are, but I really don't understand how any intelligent person can read a highly biased and inflammatory article like this and come away thinking they have learned anything. Are people really so gullible and easily deluded?

--

Rick
Reply to

** Jim's point is pretty clearly inescapable.

Expressing reasonable doubt about AGW has become the target of a massive, politically motivated witch hunt.

Very comparable with the notorious days of McCharthyism.

Left unchallenged, "AGW denial" could be headed for criminal status.

Voltaire would be totally appalled.

But who cares what he think??

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

A little background info: a scientist at a university will often get grants to support his work, and it is usual for the university to administer the money (salaries, purchases) and charge for overhead (secretaries, lab space ...). So, if the grantor and the grantee want to keep it secret, the hole in that plan is that the university sees all the money trail, and has no reason to keep it secret (indeed, state-supported universities have legal openness requirements).

Congress has power to subpoena, and the possibility of paid-for testimony is a good enough reason to look at the background of witnesses.

Reply to
whit3rd

** Equating scientific research with a court of law is utterly absurd.

Science relies only on the testability of hypotheses and the repeatability of observations and experiments.

Bad science is soon outed when hypotheses are non testable, observations cannot be successfully repeated and the outcomes of experiments are not as predicted.

... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Eventually. As somebody once said, ?We used to believe in the particle theory [of light], but now we believe in the wave theory, because all who believed in the particle theory have died.?

Lysenko had a pretty good run for a charlatan, and Piltdown Man wasn't exposed as a hoax for 40 years. A lot of damage can be done in the mean time.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

** Nonsense.

Until the above criteria are met - it ain't science at all.

Snip rest of you brainless drivel.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison