oddball parts

somebody on another electronics discussion board (not a newsgroup) asked where to find pins like the ones you see soldered on the edge of the board in the photo at this link:

I thought it was interesting so I'm reposting it here. ,

Reply to
kell

Are those chip capacitors along the bottom edge?

Reply to
Charles Schuler

Hi, Kell. The pins on the sides of the BASIC Stamp 2 in the link are called detachable lead frame pins. I've gotten them in quantity from Die Tech in York Haven, PA.

They're made from tinned phosphor bronze for springiness when they're inserted on the board.

I don't believe Die Tech sells small quantities -- you buy by the reel. But if you're putting together a prototype for a production run, they'll be glad to provide samples. Be sure to confirm your PC board thickness when placing the order. If you've got 1/16" PC board, go with 5223. Their customer service people are great.

They'll also help you with relatively inexpensive hand insertion equipment for small runs, as well as more expensive automation if you're cranking up for something like the BASIC Stamp.

Good luck Chris

Reply to
Chris

This is how they come - the carrier bar is scored to make it easy to snap off after attatching to the PCB.

Mike Harrison

I don't see any small things that could be caps, although there could be a whole passel of them on the bottom side.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

No, the pins clip over the edge of the substrate (PCB material in this case) and are soldered to rectangular pads.

Here is exactly what's on that board (all 10 parts):

Looks like the 10K across the 20MHz ceramic resonator isn't stuffed.

Best regards, Spehro Pefhany

Spehro Pefhany

That's the information my buddy over at

was looking for. He was very grateful when I went on 4hv.org and posted a link to your reply.

Reply to
kell