My amazing find

I will be the first to admit that I am a bit of nerd in loving to know how things work. I also love music so I know much of how the music world works. I was sitting at the computer with guitar in hand looking up when I noticed some interference. I know that a guitar pickup works by a coil of copper wire wound around a powerful magnet to detect changes in magnetic feilds, and that speakers work almost in reverse; creating fields by a copper wire wound around a magnet, only this time an alternating current in the wire vibrates the magnet attatched to a diaphragm. This is when my amazing idea hit, the speakers in my ipod ear buds create fields, and my guitar detects them. So I decideed to try a little experiment and set my earbuds on my guitar pickups, turned the amp up, and hit play. Instantly "Caught Up In You" was blasting throughout my bedroom with more than decent sound quality.

That was just one I thought I'd have to share with the rest of you

Reply to
ngdbud

ngdbud wrote: (snip)

8-D
Reply to
John Popelish

Try this. Put a TV/VCR/DVD remote control near your pickups, hit a button and you'll be able to listen to the data code pulses being sent to the infrared diode.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Alpha

I remember when the first IBM computers came out in the early '60s the tech guy who was showing off the computer put a AM radio on top of the box. Ran a little program and a tune came out of the radio. I think it was Daisy but that might be HAL. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

Just tried it, I like that one.

Reply to
ngdbud

Try putting a vibrator up to your pickups.

(Actually, any motorized device will do - like an electric drill a la Van Halen's "Pound Cake" - but a vibrator is probably the most interesting piece of hardware you can use.)

Reply to
RichCI

Playing my Strat with a cell phone in my front pocket. Phone rings. Neighborhood knows.

Reply to
west

Or....playing strat with cellphone in pocket. Cellphone gets bumped and dials neighbor. Neighbor knows who.... ;-) How many times have you been phoned by someone with their cellphone in their pocket......

Reply to
grolschie

Ever try locking the keypad? That works for me!

Reply to
Lord Garth

LOL :-)

Reply to
grolschie

I actually hadn't thought about this since I saw it in the '60s. I just tried it myself in an eMac that I had on the bench. It was quite cool, on start up you could hear the switching power supply start up. I wonder if you had an AM receiver that tuned much higher frequencies you would hear more interesting stuff. I do have a shortwave receiver but it's down. I'm going to try it inside near the motherboard.

On the vibrator as posted below. Have you tried that while watching TV. You get some interesting distortion effects esp if the vibrator has a variable control. Hey, Newton stuck things in his eyes. Richard

Reply to
spudnuty

When I was in high school we had an IBM 360 mainframe ( took up the whole room ) with a CPU the size of a refrigerator. We would place an AM radio on top of the CPU and load a FORTRAN program deck, which when executed would play *Flight of the Bumble Bee*

We also kept a vase with a flower in on top of the CPU to remind us the damn thing was a bloomin' idiot

Chris

Reply to
ck

There are plans on that site somewhere for modifying a cheap fm radio into high frequency am reciver for listening to aircraft signals. I myself haven't tried it.

Reply to
ngdbud