"Introduction to Semiconductor Devices" by Widlar - Anybody Has This Book?

Hello everyone,

Has anybody read the book "Introduction to Semiconductor Devices" by Robert J. Widlar (Bob Widlar)?

I am enthused by the comments about this book by Bo Lojek, (author of History of Semiconductor Engineering) that:

"he was more artist than an engineer ..." and more importantly,

"The very first Widlar publication was a crispy clear textbook "Introduction to Semiconductor Devices" (Fig 8.9). When reading this text, I realized why Bob Widlar was so successful in his future work. He had an extraordinary capability to simplify complex problems."

Would like to know your opinion about this book and ANY INFORMATION WHERE I CAN BUY THIS BOOK. (No amount of Googling shows where this book is available. No reviews or previews available.)

Regards, Anand

Reply to
Anand P. Paralkar

Is this what you are after?

Chris Jones

If Amazon doesn't list it - and it doesn't - it's probably totally unavailable. Widlar was an US Air Force instructor when he wrote it - so they are the likely publishers and owners of the copyright, and it was written for the Air Force technicians Widlar was instructing, so the level isn't going to be all that high.

Widlar's real output was his applications notes for National Semiconductor and his papers in the IEEE Journal of Solid-State Circuits. They are all well-worth reading.

They presumably were produced under pressure from the marketing department. Widlar doesn't seem to have been all that enthusiastic about writing up what he did. He could afford to let his integrated circuits do his advertising for him.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Thank you Chris Jones and snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com! Thanks a tonne!! Didn't know one has to look there. :)

Regards, Anand

Reply to
Anand P. Paralkar

Thank you Chris Jones and snipped-for-privacy@sushi.com! Thanks a tonne!! Didn't know one has to look there. :)

Regards, Anand

Reply to
Anand P. Paralkar

Thank you Bill. Was so curious to see what and how he would write. Just to see if he had a certain approach to semiconductors.

Will search for his App. Notes too.

Regards, Anand

Reply to
Anand P. Paralkar

By US Copyright Law, such documents cannot be copyrighted, so obscurity is the issue. Turned out that The Computer Museum had a copy, although it may be incomplete.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joe Gwinn

Interesting read. To save others the trouble, here's a combined version in djvu format, OCRed.

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I compressed it into a single v4 PDF if anyone wants it in that format... just ask. ...Jim Thompson

Hey, great! would you send it to my gmail email address? I got copies, but they don'topen with old Adobe's.

I really liked Motorola's textbook. How does Widlar's compare?

Reply to
RobertMacy

Will do. I've taken to making all my PDF's v4 compatible... just about anybody can read them.

Pretty much like Phillips... useless for circuit designers ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Well! It seems I don't have your gmail address. Send me something and I'll reply with the Widlar tome. ...Jim Thompson

Thanks for the combined version.

So I notice that he liked to use PNPs a lot.

Not sure if I knew or not, but, when those guys at Bell Labs made the first transistor, was it a PNP or an NPN type ?

boB

Reply to
boB

ISTR that many 60s/early70s books did. A neuron relating to "ease of manufacture" is firing, but the SNR is too low for comfort.

The period described by Widlar is almost like the "Cambrian explosion" in that he describes some odd structures that seem to have died out without leaving a trace.

Reply to
Tom Gardner

I seem to recall the first one was point contact so I believe they only form PNP transistors.

--

Rick
Reply to

It's listed here, but with you using a different access you may not have it available., so will do.

Reply to
RobertMacy