heating elements

I've been wondering how the heat controls on high power heating element in electric stoves, baseboard heaters and the like work. Is it PWM?

Reply to
Michael Robinson

Nope, that would cost too much.

Just on/off cycles. cycles that are in seconds of each time.

Some of them are so cheap, they just use bimetal temperature switches

jamie.

Reply to
Jamie

In a way - they're usually controlled by a thermostat, which turns off the power at one temp, and back on again at another, lower temp.

Sort of like PWM whose pulse width is measured in hours.

Hope This Helps! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"Rich Grise is Wrong Again "

** Only true of electric ovens.

For coils and hot plates, power control is by an adjustable thermal switch that cycles on and off at a rate determined by its own self heating and the setting on the dial.

** Bollocks.

..... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

yes, at a very low frequency. typically 1Hz or less.

--
?? 100% natural
Reply to

Phil Allison:

Why? Isn't what you just described?

Reply to
F. Bertolazzi

Yeah, but that's Phil.

Admittedly, I could have said "minutes" instead of "hours," but that all depends on the application.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

"F. Bertolazzi"

** The "hours" bit is totally absurd.

As even a f****it like you should have picked.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

** Err - try " seconds " !!

You lying f****it.

** Which we know and you are again lying about.

.... Phil

Reply to
Phil Allison

Phil Allison: