First Project

This is my first time building anything like this my self, and I don't really know where to start.

I want to make a small (~12 cubic inches) chamber with a heating element in that heats the air to a temperature of 200F-400F, which can be adjusted. When the air reaches the set temperature a thermostat will kick the heating element off and light an indicator light. It would be powered by an attached battery pack.

Can anyone point me to some resource that can help me on my project? Any help you can give would be great.

Thanks Rahein

Reply to
Rahein

Yeah, hook up an op-amp to the thermistor and a voltage reference. When Vtemp > Vref, op-amp switches off the heater. (Drive the heater thru a nice transistor or MOSFET.) Calibrate the temp with a thermometer and you're done.

As for actual refs...Google op-amps.. transistors.. resistors.. capacitors.. and the nature of the universe itself.

I do however question the usefulness of your project. Do you realize how many batteries this is going to go through to keep it heated for ten minutes? You'd better have aerogel insulation in there.

Tim

Tim Williams

Thanks, I will look up those terms latter today when I have some time.

The air does not need to stay at that tempature. Just warm up to the correct temp and then shut off. There is nothing stopping me from plugging it into the wall, I just thought that would increase the difficulty and cost. There may be better ways to make this, like I said it is my first project.

PS: On

is their FREE litature really free, or is there some catch?

Reply to
Rahein

--
Free. The catch is their products are pricey.
Reply to

It's finals week.

Cheers! Rich

Reply to