does Cyrus amp need a load?

Hey all;

My brother has a Cyrus amp that he would like to use a wireless headphone set with. Trouble is, there's no headphone jack, so I was going to rig something up where he could unplug the speakers and plug the wireless transmitter into the speaker jacks. I'm pretty sure the amp is solid state. Would there be any problem with this arrangement, or do you think the amp needs a low impedance (8 ohms or less) load to run safely?

Thanks

Reply to
tempus fugit

No it doesn't.

Graham

Reply to
Eeyore

Solid state amps do not need a load to operate safely. It's real simple to tell if an amp is solid state: if it has no glowing vacuum tubes in it it's solid state.

Make sure the wireles transmitter is designed to accept speaker-level inputs. If it's expecting a line-level signal, less than 2V, you could quickly fry it by using the speaker terminal outputs.

What is your goal here? Are you just wanting to use the input selector to choose your source, then wirelessly transmit the source to a remote location where it will be amplified? If so a better solution would be to use your tape monitor outputs on the amp if it has them. You won't have tone or volume controls, but the amp on the far end will anyways.

Reply to
Dave

headphone

amp

it's

location

Thanks for the reply Dave.

The wireless transmitter has a 1/8" jack to connect to the source device, so I'm assuming that the idea is you plug this thing into an iPod or whatever, then you can wander around the house without having to drag your iPod around (like it's too big to do that anyway). Anyway, he wants to use it for his home stereo. My original idea was to use the line outs, but it seems to be designed to be driven by a speaker out.

Reply to
tempus fugit

Very unlikely. It'll be a 3.5mm jack.

Graham