contact cleaner or isopropyl alcohol for tube contacts?

Hey all;

I've got a scratchy noise in my tube guitar amp. I suspect it's emanating somewhere from the power amp section, as it is present in both channels, and doesn't increase in volume when the volume is turned up. Before I get into replacing anything, I thought I'd try cleaning the tube contacts and reseating the tubes to see if that helps. Should I use contact cleaner or alcohol (or something else) to clean them?

Thanks

Reply to
tempus fugit

Here is some info for you:

Tom

Reply to
Tom Biasi

All you should need to do is pull them out and plug them back in - that should break through the oxide. If they're visibly corroded, then you might need more heroic measures.

Also, get some contact cleaner and clean all of the pots and any switches that aren't sealed.

Good Luck! Rich

Reply to
Rich Grise

There is a product that works wonders on connections, pots and switches. Dissolves the oxidation (without harm to metals) and actually improves the connections. Go to

I use it on everything from my audio/video stuff, batteries, light bulbs and computers - even my cell phone connections. Mike

Reply to
shaq