Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Where to buy EL wire?
Anyone have any leads on cheap EL (electroluminescent) wire? I've found a lot of cheap parts on eBay, but then some parts aren't as cheap on eBay. Any suggestions welcome. Thanks, Daniel.
21
21

Powerline Networking Question
With this technology can you supply a neighbor with internet if they share the same utility power transformer? Thanks!
4
4

220V in a 110V power strip
Traveling to Malaysia next week. The AC power is 220V 50HZ.. Apparently the plugs are the large 3 prong plugs (type "G"). Trying to avoid buying a bunch of the type G plug adapters. Is there any...
40
40

What should I do if I want to output through HDMI?
If I wanted to work on a small (meaning cheap) hobby project which outputs something on HDMI, what kind of things would I need? Is there some existing IC that does most of what I would need, including...
20
20

How the bastards do it
Climate skeptic instructor fired from Oregon State University Posted on June 11, 2012 by Anthony Watts Gordon Fulks sends this summary of the situation and asks that it be distributed. I=92m happy to...
9
9

MOSFET TESTING
Hi, I am trying to test the following power MOSFET using digital multimeter. I am using the following way to do this But this MOSFET is showing anything. Its a new part. I tried another MOSFET...
4
4

Keeping a 12v battery charged above 80%
I had a fellow out to do some electrical work that involves one 12v marine battery. The battery will be used about 4-6 hours a night sporadically. Maybe 15-20% of the time. He offered that it should...
20
20

LTspice questions
Does LTspice assume some value of Q when simulating parallel LC circuits where the resistance of the inductor and ESR of the capacitor are not specified? I notice I get different results where the L...
4
4

Inductance Equations using SI Units
I've been planning to wind some coils. I want to get an idea of what sort of inductance I'd get for a given winding, coil diameter and length, and so on. These are all air-core, so I don't need to...
15
15

OT: Plonk
Lately I've been saying "plonk" a lot. For reasons that have so far eluded my feeble grasp, a few people (or perhaps just a few nyms) have objected to this, resorting to arguments ad hominem to...
13
13

PIC MX32 GUVI (Grand Unified Variable Index)?
I'm dissecting MX32 'example code' to get a gut-level understanding of how it all works. A major slowdown in that path is my inability to understand the meanings of the variable names quickly, because...
1
1

Applying Electronics To Politics (or Vice Versa)
Constantly increasing disparity of wealth is akin to constantly adding a charge to one side of a capacitor. Sooner or later the dielectric in the cap will breakdown and the voltage will suddenly...
2
2

HDMI-CEC
I have an HDMI device, which apparently isn't HDMI-CEC compliant... it won't turn on my new TV automatically. Anyone know of a hack to pass that info? (The non-compliant device does have an AC outlet...

Soldering a LED Display Matrix
So, I've learned the hard way that it isn't trivial to solder a LED matrix. I've actually extended that lesson to realize any non-planar graph adds difficulty to soldering. Anyway. I was trying to...
8
8

Dielectric Grease
Is it desirable to use any sort of dielectric grease on the moving parts that support the contacts inside of an enclosed switcher? The encasement isn't exactly air-tight, but the action of making and...
2
2