Latest threads in Hobby Electronics Basicsshow only best voted threads

Subject Author Posted Replies

Battery Selection
I need to run my laptop for many hours and in a mobile state; i.e. no AC Power available not car available. I have a Enercel AC/12VDC to laptop power block cord. What is the best battery to use with...
5
5

Relacement for SCR
Have immediate needs for SCR for a latching alarm circuit. Unable to source locally. Only RS and they don't have them. Would a triac act in the same way in a DC circuit? Please don't beat me up too...
33
33

Your favorite battery supplier or seller?
I'm impressed by the number of clearly illegitimate battery deals on Amazon. Some of them are obviously too good to be true, even given Chinese dumping. Don't know if the problem is knockoffs, don't...
9
9

Injection-Locked Oscillators
Where can I find a good tutorial on Injection-Locked Oscillators? All I can find are application-specific papers, and I need just the basic concepts to wrap my head around. ...Jim Thompson -- | James...
9
9

Partial-Fraction Expansion?
Someone please refresh my memory... Isn't there some easy way to do a "partial-fraction expansion" of a transfer function in "S" (Heaviside version of Laplace) and generate an L-R-C ladder network?...
12
12

OT: Wall Stud Locating
See... I had been using the Magcraft magnets to locate wall studs, but they're nasty to get apart and hard to hold onto. Then I appropriated some magnetic "push pins" from my wife's bulletin board....
18
18

Weather
Spring-like. That's why I moved straight to Arizona after I graduated from MIT in 1962... I hate cold ;-) ...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | |...
15
15

Filter Design Software
I need a filter with the following specs: Center frequency: 2MHz Nose Bandwidth (-3dB): 20kHz -60dB Bandwidth: 40kHz Cauer/Elliptic type would be fine Need: Pole locations, A+jB, Zero locations. The...
6
6

OT: Football "Physics"
...Jim Thompson -- | James E.Thompson | mens | | Analog Innovations | et | | Analog/Mixed-Signal ASIC's and Discrete Systems | manus | | San Tan Valley, AZ 85142 Skype: skypeanalog | | |...
26
26

AD834 Spice Model Updated
The Spice Model for the ADI 500MHz Four-Quadrant Multiplier has been updated (AD834_SPICE_Model.zip) on the Device Models & Subcircuits Page of my Website, adding in the Spice model for RNOISELESS,...

John Larkin Was That You on the News?
There was a brief clip of a John Larkin being interviewed as one of the passengers on one of the flights that was the object of a bomb scare. The interview was shown on the Saturday evening news. Was...
2
2

Why dont they make a "Light Emitting TRIODE"
The LED ("Light Emitting DIODE") is common place now. In fact it seems like they went from being simple "power on" indicator lamps to the lighting of the future for darn near everything. But what I...
14
14

Any of you use Multisim?
Any of you use Multisim? Can Multisim handle PSpice/LTspice style behavioral expressions... GDC_I1 X2 VN VALUE {(1+TANH(2.2/0.1*(V(X2,VN)-0.5)))/2*45u} Or can it only handle B-sources? ...Jim Thompson...
10
10

re and RE (AoE)
From "The Art of Electronics" second edition, p.81: "the load sees a driving impedance of re = 25 ohms, since Ic = 1mA. (This is paralleled by the emitter resistor RE, if used; but in practice RE will...