White noise -- twilight zone

Ok, this will be the weirdest post ever but I only post here because of the chances someone screwing around with a white noise generator has experienc ed the same thing.

I use one to sleep with and have for years off and on, when my air cleaner acts up. I normally use the air cleaner.

So I know that RF can work it's way into one if your close to a transmitter BUT the other night, I very vividly heard a low male voice that repeatedly was singing a short maybe 6 or 7 seconds long, faint sounding melody that was unintelligible but constant -- over and over again in a perfect cycle. The same melody over and over again. Got up, turned off the generator and i t stopped. (And fixed my damn air cleaner).

??

Now no radio transmission is going to do that.

Pareidolia is was not. (Yes -- I looked that up). It was very real and I wa s NOT asleep or nearing sleep. I have insomnia often.

I can hear the comments now but seriously, anybody else?

Reply to
mkr5000

Is your white noise generator PRBS based with a cycle time of 6 or 7 seconds?

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I can't imagine it *isn't* a radio transmission. It's not a radio station, but obviously there is some broadcast not far away that is being picked up by the white noise generator and demodulated.

If you are really obsessive about locating it you could get a wide band receiver and sweep the frequency ranges looking for a really strong transmission.

--

Rick
Reply to

How do you know any of that for sure? "Sleep state misperception" is a real thing, particularly in folks with insomnia.

What you describe dosent sound any "normal" radio broadcast...

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

It's old age... I periodically here Christmas music and religious hymns from my childhood... I've only gone to churches for marriages and funerals since I escaped my parents >:-} ...Jim Thompson

My mother has some sensorineural heairng loss likely caused by measles when she was young, and unfortunately the loss has progressed with age. She sometimes suffers from a weird thing called "musical ear syndrome" where she will hear snippets of songs, like Beethoven's 5th or the 1812 overture on repeat. Very annoying. Her audioligist says this conditon is rare, but he's seen it before.

She worried that if she told anyone they'd think she had schizophrenia. Wearing hearing aids regularly seems to help quite a bit.

--

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

I find it rather pleasant ;-) ...Jim Thompson

I don't suffer from insanity- I rather enjoy it.

--sp

--
Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Belly laugh! :-)

Mikek

Reply to
amdx

You might argue that it's a high without the withdrawal consequences

...Jim Thompson

I just hate it when everything weird is blamed on RF. Oddly, whenever I read about such incidents, it's always music or programming material that is heard, never a commercial or station annoucement.

If your white noise generator is acting as a detector, it's a fair guess that the RF source is AM (amplitude modulation). That means BCB AM or SW (short wave) broadcasting. Just about everything else uses FM or digital modulation modes for voice, thus eliminating FM, DTV, SSB, and various 2way radio voice modes. SW broadcasting has degenerated to mostly religious broadcasting, so that's not what you heard. Broadcast AM is most talk radio and obnoxious commericals, so that's an unlikely candidate. Unless I missed some mode or source, there's nothing left. (Outer space communications by aliens is unlikely to be AM and more likely resemble random noise).

Repetitions of 6 or 7 seconds is too long for a skipping 33 RPM record and too short for a Fidelipack tape loop. Maybe one of those pre-recorded talking Christmas greeting cards?

Ummm... You're now hearing comments, without commericals?

Have you tried the paranormal forums and blogs?

--
Jeff Liebermann     jeffl@cruzio.com
Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com

he chances someone screwing around with a white noise generator has experie nced the same thing.

r acts up. I normally use the air cleaner.

er BUT the other night, I very vividly heard a low male voice that repeated ly was singing a short maybe 6 or 7 seconds long, faint sounding melody tha t was unintelligible but constant -- over and over again in a perfect cycle . The same melody over and over again. Got up, turned off the generator and it stopped. (And fixed my damn air cleaner).

was NOT asleep or nearing sleep. I have insomnia often.

you had to be there -- trust me, this was no radio transmission. I spent my career in radio. it was an unintelligible melody and I hate to use the word "haunting" -- bu t was.

Reply to
mkr5000

the chances someone screwing around with a white noise generator has exper ienced the same thing.

ner acts up. I normally use the air cleaner.

tter BUT the other night, I very vividly heard a low male voice that repeat edly was singing a short maybe 6 or 7 seconds long, faint sounding melody t hat was unintelligible but constant -- over and over again in a perfect cyc le. The same melody over and over again. Got up, turned off the generator a nd it stopped. (And fixed my damn air cleaner).

I was NOT asleep or nearing sleep. I have insomnia often.

my career in radio.

but was.

and like I say it played over and over again -- the same short melody.

Reply to
mkr5000

of the chances someone screwing around with a white noise generator has exp erienced the same thing.

eaner acts up. I normally use the air cleaner.

mitter BUT the other night, I very vividly heard a low male voice that repe atedly was singing a short maybe 6 or 7 seconds long, faint sounding melody that was unintelligible but constant -- over and over again in a perfect c ycle. The same melody over and over again. Got up, turned off the generator and it stopped. (And fixed my damn air cleaner).

d I was NOT asleep or nearing sleep. I have insomnia often.

t my career in radio.

- but was.

and -- it was the sound of a deep male voice.

Reply to
mkr5000

I have visual hallucinations early in the morning, when I'm just waking up. They are wonderful, and I wish I could encourage more of them. I have pretty bad eyesight, and the hallucinations are razor sharp and generally beautiful, and I'm not even wearing my glasses.

lunatic fringe electronics

Sanity is over-rated.

lunatic fringe electronics

My Dad - he's 88 - has some hearing loss and hears Welsh male voice choirs in the road noise on motorways.

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo

I read somewhere that about 20% of the population has hallucinations, and they are most often aural. If you were partly asleep and listening to a random noise generator, that's a reasonable explanation.

There's no reason that mild hallucinations should be frowned upon, no more than yawning or hiccups.

But all my hallucinations involve women; no males allowed.

lunatic fringe electronics

When it first occurred I researched it... it's related to hearing loss, and the brain fills in the missing sounds.

It seems to come and go... haven't had any extraneous "auditions" for about six months.

I'll celebrate my 19th birthday on February 29 ;-) ...Jim Thompson

Completely OT, and probably everyone knows about this, but it's fairly new to me and I rather like it...

Syd
Reply to
Syd Rumpo