Voltage Mirror?

I was playing around and came up with a voltage mirror which looks very similar to a current mirror.

if the transistors are matched and the load is about larger than about

1/10th the program resistor the emitter of Q2 will follow almost exactly that of Q1 up to 9/10 of VCC. V1 will generally be another transistor configured as a voltage amplifier to get the large swings needed. So this is effectively an amplified voltage mirror(at least that was my goal).

I believe this would work well for my application but unfortunately I can't get matched bjt's in a monolithic package at the voltages and powers I need them at. As far as I can tell though the circuit won't suffer too much is they are not matched?

In any case I haven't seen this circuit around so I guess it's not very useful or just really a current mirror in disguise? Any improvements can be made? I might actually try and use this in a circuit if there is no big problems.

Reply to
Jeff Johnson

This is similar to cascaded PNP-then-NPN emitter followers, in that Vbe cancels to first order. That arrangement has a lot higher input impedance, since the PNP has gain. The problem, as you note, is matching differences in Vbe caused by heating of the output transistor.

Analog Devices makes matched transistor arrays. Most other multiple transistors are poorly thermally-matched monolithics or, worse, multiple isolated die in one piece of epoxy.

Thermal matching can be terrible in these:

ftp://jjlarkin.lmi.net/UPA800_80mW_one-side.jpg

This pair has, vaguely, 100K/W differential theta. So 100 mW dissipation in the output transistor would create a positive offset error of roughly 25 millivolts.

The bummer is, all sorts of fun circuits are blown away by things like cheap opamps.

John

It's an emitter follower with a V_BE in series with it. Used all the time for low accuracy stuff. For higher accuracy, use an op amp--it would need a bit of a bandaid to work at 100V, but nothing too awful.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

The Vbe match of the two transistors is VERY bad; the emitter current in those two transistors isn't the same, after all. At best, this will buffer a Zener (voltage source) with a limited input current, and has somewhat better thermal behavior than a simple emitter follower.

Take a long look at a uA741 input circuit: the Vbe matching is assured by current-matched loads.

Reply to
whit3rd

Bad? At most a few volts off since we are programming the voltage and not the current(hence it is working on a logarithmic scale). As long as the supply is stable it is not a big deal as I am using feedback to program it. Drift might be an issue to some degree but it doesn't have to be perfect in my case. I'm not looking for mV accuracy.

Reply to
Jeff Johnson

It shouldn't be too big of a deal as any current changes will have a logarthimic effect on the voltage. I'll be using feedback to control the voltage so the voltages do not have to follow exactly(or even close but just linearly).

Any cheap opamps that work at in the hundreds of volts range rather than

10's of volts?
Reply to
Jeff Johnson

You do need to put a bandaid on them. It's easiest when the input range is within the op amp supplies, but you can use floating op amps to fix up the offset voltage of other kinds of buffers. Whether it's worth it depends on your application.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal
ElectroOptical Innovations
55 Orchard Rd
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510
845-480-2058

http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

ge

Add in a (-12V) supply and for 0-100V in/out, use:

(warning, bad ASCII art here)

(the "A" characters are intended to indicate NPN emitters)

It's basically a follower, but with input and output voltages attenuated, and with voltage-to-current converter on the op amp output pin, and a level translator transistor plus an emitter follower.

Reply to
whit3rd