transmission line transformers on a board

Darn

nd

Get a solder pot. Each of the coil winders on the shop floor at Cambridge I nstruments had one of their own.

a nightmare.

What makes you think that?

You can buy enamelled wire with differently tinted enamels. The ratio trans formers used by standards labs have this problem in spades- they depend on winding a loosely twisted bundle of a lot of wires to give them lots of win dings which are identical to one part in 10^7 - and they have special purpo se tools that put a different signal on each wire at one end of the bundles and let you identify each wire at the other end.

It's messy but manageable.

That's one way of coping. It may not be the cheapest one. Coaxial connector s are remarkably expensive.

For once. An engineer is somebody who can do for a dollar what any fool can do for $2.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

? Do

Huh, I've always wanted low capacitance coax. (I guess that's normal.)

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

You came up with a neat, practical construction for a handy circuit element. Cool (and thanks for sharing).

Cheers, James

Reply to
dagmargoodboat

But expensive.

Cool, but scarcely novel. If he'd put a price on the coax connectors, it might have been more interesting, but probably less attractive.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

Are you suggesting that I wind my 50-ohm transmission-line transformer from that?

lunatic fringe electronics

U.FL connectors are like $0.10, even buying in small numbers. You can get them pre-fitted to jumper leads in various lengths for a buck.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

JL, Please *do* try to keep up. He's answering my question about whether such stuff is commercially manufactured, as is amply clear in the quoted context.

Reply to
Clifford Heath

The UMCCs that I used are about 35 cents by the short reel, and the cable asssembly is about $2.50. I never expect to make many of these, maybe 100 channels a year.

The pot core pair is something we had in stock, ungapped for a forward converter supply. The pair costs $1.80. It's probably not optimum magnetically, but the breadboard worked fine so I didn't need to think about that any more.

All that, building and testing and documenting, took an afternoon. Our resident magnetics expert Sloman spent a decade or so on his custom-magnetics 2-transistor oscillator and, at last report, hasn't yet got it to oscillate.

lunatic fringe electronics

I sure wish you guys would stay on topic.

lunatic fringe electronics

The coaxial transmission line alone, with no core, acts like a transformer for fast signals. Fast here means signals faster than the prop delay of the cable. You can Spice that, which is fun. For the fast signals, the inner and outer currents inside the coax cancel, so there's no field into the core.

For slow signals, the system acts just like a conventional transformer with a magnetic core. With luck, the fast and slow mechanisms overlap nicely and you get a clean pulse response.

I'm making 50 volt pulses into a 50 ohm load, 1 amp, with about 2 ns edges, and transformer saturation limits my pulse widths, even with that big hunk of ferrite. A gapped core might be better, but I used what we have and it's good enough.

lunatic fringe electronics

A gapped core would perform strictly worse.

Tim

--
Seven Transistor Labs, LLC
Website: http://seventransistorlabs.com

Probably so. To get edge speed, I need to push small fets hard. So I have a lot of Rds-on drop, which I can overcome with more supply voltage. But magnetizing current then makes my pulses look droopey. So I want all the L that I can get, right up until the pulse is zapped by core saturation.

Complex stuff.

lunatic fringe electronics

What's with the gold pastie over the works?

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

Hiding the private bits, no fig leaves were available.

GH

Reply to
George Herold

Trade secrets.

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
http://www.highlandtechnology.com

Only gold leaves?

Reply to
krw

It oscillates fine in LTSpice, and it's not different enough from stuff that does work in the real world to make building a real example an urgent issue.

And the current version doesn't have any custom magnetics. There 's a ferrite bead or two on the circuit diagram, but they are purely precautionary.

If there was any prospect of somebody buying an example of the circuit, I'd probably get more enthusiastic.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

On a sunny day (Fri, 06 Oct 2017 08:55:36 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

I like the breadboard, but what is under that almost square piece of copper? Is it forming a transmission line?

Reply to
Jan Panteltje

I blanked out the new pulse driver circuit in that picture, paintbrush in Irfanview. I can't give away some of our tricks.

lunatic fringe electronics

On a sunny day (Sat, 07 Oct 2017 07:32:34 -0700) it happened John Larkin wrote in :

OK, yes in deep reflection I realized it must be a pulse driver, and what came to me was that short transmission line one transistor circuit we discussed here years ago...

Reply to
Jan Panteltje