Re: Paper Your Walls

The Wasp engines, and its variations, bootstrapped aviation and helped

> win WWII. > >

They're a work of art IMV, especially the Major variant. The cylinder layout of 12.86 degrees apart must have taken some serious juggling to realise in practice. I know their cooling wasn't great due to cylinder crowding, but for sheer audacity you can't whack it. We're very lucky indeed to have one of these R-4360 power plants on display at our local museum and I just stand in awe of it every time I visit. So John, scrap your idea of putting up an exploded diagram of a turbofan and stick one of these outrageous beauties up instead. You know I've never steered you wrong! :)

Cursitor Doom

OK, we'll do both.

There is a nice little museum near the Hartford airport that has some engines. And some old wooden propellers, which kicked off Hamilton Sunstrand.

Pratt and Hamilton became parts of UTC. UTC has recently acquired or merged with BF Goodrich, Raytheon, and Collins.

lunatic fringe electronics
Reply to
jlarkin

You think that's an engine? That's not an engine. This is an engine...

  Rick C.

  - Get 1,000 miles of free Supercharging
Rick C

Or part thereof :-)

--
Rheilly
Reply to

Rick C wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@googlegroups.com:

Nope. That is a motor. (part of).

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

Lycoming whacked it.

Local Favorite

Local Favorite wrote in news:qs1t1n$d3g$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

He was doomed to be whacked by that.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

If sheer size alone is your thing then good luck with that. It's got a nut missing from the top cowling, BTW. I wouldn't want a picture of that thing on my wall. No imagination nor character whatsoever in evidence in that design.

Cursitor Doom

The XR-7755 has significantly more bigness, approaching twice the displacement and weight.

It has nine cylinders per row, thirty-six total. Your spindly P&W has seven cylinders per row, just twenty eight total.

But the size isn't "alone". The camshafts can be shifted between two profiles, for max takeoff or cruise power. There are contrarotating props, with two speed ranges in the speed reduction gearing. Liquid cooling.

I saw that too. Blame the Smithsonian, Lycoming didn't lose the nut.

But, but, you were swooning over "sheer audacity" of design before!

The air-cooled P&W does present more lumpy stuff to look at. The Lycoming appears comparatively bland because it's water cooled and you're only seeing the surface. And being the only one in existence, it isn't going to be cut and sectioned to offer a peek inside.

Reply to
Local Favorite

And those are *overhead* cams!

On second glance, I don't think it does. Look at the bosses for the studs cast into that cone. The spacing is closer there, and that one stud is a bit shorter than all the others.

The XR-7755 was an over-the-top, outrageous, clean-sheet-of-paper design.

P&W's imagination... grabbing more of the familiar old stuff from the parts bins. They knew that the rear cylinders were going to overheat, they built it anyway, and the rear cylinders overheat. If jets hadn't arrived, P&W's next piston design would have been a copy of the Lycoming.

Reply to
Local Favorite

Local Favorite wrote in news:qs6ehb$1j30$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Ok. I see 4 per row, nine rows.

Radially speaking, it would be 4 banks of 9 radial arrays sandwiched together.

Nine 4 cylinder rows at 40 degrees shift per row. 360 degrees.

Reply to
DecadentLinuxUserNumeroUno

A "circle of cylinders" (or radial array) is a row. I don't like it, I want rows to be straight lines, but that's the way it is. The XR-7755 has banks because cylinders in the rows happen to line up, unlike with air-cooled arrangements.

There are an odd number of cylinders in a row, so that each of a

4-stroke's cylinders will fire every-other revolution. 1-3-5-7-9-2-4-6-8 ... If the number were even, then half the cylinders, the same half every time, would be skipped.

Wikipedia pages also have row/bank terminology mixed up, about as often as they have it right.

Reply to
Local Favorite

Local Favorite wrote in news:qs8qjv$iqu$ snipped-for-privacy@gioia.aioe.org:

Well, put those idiots all in a row and shoot them.

Put me in a bank and give me all the money there.