OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

You can get good deals just from lowballing certain sellers e.g. the used items that people put up on Craigslist where they say "Don't know anything about it, no time to test" and yet still want 80% of list price.

You don't know if it even works and don't have the time to test it? Okay but like...I can only give you a hundred bucks for it

Reply to
bitrex

Even when they can easily produce the item for me to look at and are more accommodating I avoid sellers who seem in a hurry/listing too far under reasonable market value in the ad initially because there's a good chance that shit is hot.

Your average honest seller isn't in a big rush and is ah "optimistic" on the price, which is then negotiated in a downwards direction.

Reply to
bitrex

On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 12:38:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr ote:

gnificantly under market price. The guy has been a bit hard to reach not a nswering his phone and the recording talks about "the text mail subscriber" . Not sure if that is just a generic voice mail greeting or if that is spe cific to some service that you might use to screen calls.

a couple of emails now with the same photos. His story is that he is ship ping out in a couple of days and needs to sell the truck fast. He talks ab out the truck being shipped to me by eBay motors so I can check it out. No t sure if it will have tags or not (I wouldn't think so) so I can drive it on the road. He say he is in the same state as me at some military base. I am central so there aren't any military bases I know of that would be out of driving range. I've asked which base he is on, we'll see if he will te ll me.

ns seem difficult and the transaction seems rather complicated). I'm start ing to think the guy wants to make sure I never meet him. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of a scam like this.

Ok, the other shoe fell this morning. It's not even a class act. I got a crappy email from snipped-for-privacy@payment-invoices.net telling me how to buy eBa y Cards to make the $2000 payment. They want me to scratch off the securit y coating and send the code number to them along with photos of the cards a nd store receipt. I assume this is everything required to cash the cards o nline.

I did a google search on the email address and found a page discussing the scam.

I'm going to string the guy along a bit and see how long I can get him to f ollow along.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

Fuck with someone you know is probably a criminal already and has your email and phone number, excellent plan. It might not even be just one guy could be MS-13 on the other end for all you know.

Reply to
bitrex

significantly under market price. The guy has been a bit hard to reach no t answering his phone and the recording talks about "the text mail subscrib er". Not sure if that is just a generic voice mail greeting or if that is specific to some service that you might use to screen calls.

ved a couple of emails now with the same photos. His story is that he is s hipping out in a couple of days and needs to sell the truck fast. He talks about the truck being shipped to me by eBay motors so I can check it out. Not sure if it will have tags or not (I wouldn't think so) so I can drive it on the road. He say he is in the same state as me at some military base . I am central so there aren't any military bases I know of that would be out of driving range. I've asked which base he is on, we'll see if he will tell me.

tions seem difficult and the transaction seems rather complicated). I'm st arting to think the guy wants to make sure I never meet him. I'm wondering if anyone has heard of a scam like this.

t a crappy email from snipped-for-privacy@payment-invoices.net telling me how to buy eBay Cards to make the $2000 payment. They want me to scratch off the sec urity coating and send the code number to them along with photos of the car ds and store receipt. I assume this is everything required to cash the car ds online.

the scam.

to follow along.

Yeah, I guess they could send a bomb through email. The same things that k eep me from finding them keep them from finding me. Oh yeah, I gave them a n address... but was it *my* address? lol

BTW, I called the number for eBay in the email and they answered the phone as eBay, but as I started to ask about the scam email they hung up. Didn't even try to convince me it was real.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

The goal was to buy a truck, not to be a detective IIRC. Being detective is diverting time away from primary goal. It is highly illogical, Captain.

Reply to
bitrex

is significantly under market price. The guy has been a bit hard to reach not answering his phone and the recording talks about "the text mail subscr iber". Not sure if that is just a generic voice mail greeting or if that i s specific to some service that you might use to screen calls.

eived a couple of emails now with the same photos. His story is that he is shipping out in a couple of days and needs to sell the truck fast. He tal ks about the truck being shipped to me by eBay motors so I can check it out . Not sure if it will have tags or not (I wouldn't think so) so I can driv e it on the road. He say he is in the same state as me at some military ba se. I am central so there aren't any military bases I know of that would b e out of driving range. I've asked which base he is on, we'll see if he wi ll tell me.

cations seem difficult and the transaction seems rather complicated). I'm starting to think the guy wants to make sure I never meet him. I'm wonderi ng if anyone has heard of a scam like this.

got a crappy email from snipped-for-privacy@payment-invoices.net telling me how to b uy eBay Cards to make the $2000 payment. They want me to scratch off the s ecurity coating and send the code number to them along with photos of the c ards and store receipt. I assume this is everything required to cash the c ards online.

g the scam.

m to follow along.

at keep me from finding them keep them from finding me. Oh yeah, I gave th em an address... but was it *my* address? lol

one as eBay, but as I started to ask about the scam email they hung up. Di dn't even try to convince me it was real.

.

Unless I want to drive to far away states (which I don't) looking for a veh icle is a low bandwidth task. I can't make ads appear. I've scoured every venue I can think of. Now it is a matter of checking a couple times a day and staying ready for a good deal. My biggest issue is that most likely t he vehicle will be bought in a neighboring state and I will have to get the title transferred before I can drive it home.

Rick C.

Reply to
gnuarm.deletethisbit

I priced out one time what it would cost to get a car shipped one way from the West Coast to New England via a third party I said "Got it, thanks" and politely hung up the phone. I guess it's an option if one's buying late model luxury cars or something.

Reply to
bitrex