OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

I am looking to buy a used vehicle and found one on Craigslist that is sign
ificantly under market price.  The guy has been a bit hard to reach not ans
wering his phone and the recording talks about "the text mail subscriber".
 Not sure if that is just a generic voice mail greeting or if that is speci
fic to some service that you might use to screen calls.

He only responds with texts until he got my email address.  I've received a
 couple of emails now with the same photos.  His story is that he is shippi
ng out in a couple of days and needs to sell the truck fast.  He talks abou
t the truck being shipped to me by eBay motors so I can check it out.  Not
sure if it will have tags or not (I wouldn't think so) so I can drive it on
 the road.  He say he is in the same state as me at some military base.  I
am central so there aren't any military bases I know of that would be out o
f driving range.  I've asked which base he is on, we'll see if he will tell
 me.

This is sounding too good (the very low price) and too hard (communications
 seem difficult and the transaction seems rather complicated).  I'm startin
g to think the guy wants to make sure I never meet him.  I'm wondering if a
nyone has heard of a scam like this.

Rick C.

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?
[...]

there's a recently been a few cases here that sound similar, very cheap, ne
ed to sell fast, just need part payment up front to get the car shipped of
course as
soon money changes hands the seller disappears and it turns out the picture
s where just random pictures off the internet

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?
On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 1:15:41 PM UTC-4, Lasse Langwadt Christensen
[...]

Ah, no money requested as yet.  Since he mentioned eBay motors I figured th
e payment would be handled by escrow, but who knows what to expect?  The la
st email says he can't leave the base for "personal" reasons.  I told him I
 have clearances and can get on base no matter which base he is on and that
 I really want the car today.  lol

At this point I am pretty sure it is a scam.  At the price he is asking it
would have sold a dozen times already and he could have sold it to someone
else on the base if any of that were true.

Funny how many people list stuff and then don't respond to your messages.

Rick C.

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

The "I'm leaving in a few days have to sell fast" is the biggest red
flag in the world. If you're in the military in (mostly) peacetime and
not a member of the special forces or something you generally know when
you're going to deploy more than a few days in advance so what's the big
hurry, like you didn't know this was going to happen or something and
it's a huge surprise?

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

Don't tell me you "need to sell fast" like it's my problem, it's not.
Guess you should've started earlier as Mom liked to say.

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?
On Wed, 4 Jul 2018 10:15:36 -0700 (PDT), Lasse Langwadt Christensen

People who want cheap "under market price" are the target audience for
scammers. Seems to work.

--

John Larkin   Highland Technology, Inc   trk

jlarkin att highlandtechnology dott com
Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?
:
[...]

Market price is an average.  By definition some vehicles usually about half
, are under "market price".  I've seen no shortage of that.  This one is a
bit ridiculous though.  That's the domain of scammers.  Yeah, it works once
 in a while and that's all they need.

Rick C.

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

Yes. But it can go right too, I just got a big pile of stuff for about a tenth its value, and have done that many times in life.

NT

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?
tenth its value, and have done that many times in life.

Yeah, it happens, but this is clearly a scam.  Even if he was leaving the c
ountry, selling this vehicle for $2000 is rediculous.  He must be able to f
ind someone to pay him that much without all the nonsense of ebay shipping
of a truck within the same state if there were such a thing!

Rick C.

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

Even when they can easily produce the item for me to look at and are
more accommodating I avoid sellers who seem in a hurry/listing too far
under reasonable market value in the ad initially because there's a good
chance that shit is hot.

Your average honest seller isn't in a big rush and is ah "optimistic" on
the price, which is then negotiated in a downwards direction.

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

You can get good deals just from lowballing certain sellers e.g. the
used items that people put up on Craigslist where they say "Don't know
anything about it, no time to test" and yet still want 80% of list price.

You don't know if it even works and don't have the time to test it? Okay
but like...I can only give you a hundred bucks for it

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

I've bought a couple cars on eBay/Craigslist before and tried to buy
others where the deal fell through, people try to do all sorts of wacky
stuff like sell you cars without titles and stuff that's been clearly
water damaged.

currently I just go with my gut if it smells bad fuck 'em there's no
shortage of cars out there. The ideal process goes down one way which is
the "normal way" I go meet them at their home or business, have a nice
chat, I pay them the money and I leave with the car.

That's how it happens 90% of the time and most people seem able to do
that just fine, if they can't do that for whatever reason then I bail.
Maybe scam, maybe not, not worth my time to take a risk on or even think
about too hard. What makes your car so special you can't do it the way
everyone else does, the excuses are lame, I don't want it to hear it.

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

Something to keep in mind: Trucks are very common. Big stacks of money
are rare and valuable. There is a clear power imbalance here and an
honest seller will not try to make you "work for it" when your cash is
the real prize, not their dumpy truck. They will try to accommodate you.

Want to sell me something but you can't even answer your phone when I
call to discuss the deal? Well fuck you then. I guess you hate money.

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?
On Wednesday, July 4, 2018 at 12:38:39 PM UTC-4, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wr
ote:
ns seem difficult and the transaction seems rather complicated).  I'm start
ing to think the guy wants to make sure I never meet him.  I'm wondering if
 anyone has heard of a scam like this.

It is a scam.  Ebay motors does not act as an escrow account.

I found that when I searched on the description of the car , I would find s
omeone else selling the identical car with identical photos.   In other wor
ds the scam artist just copied a legit listing and used it with lower price
s.

Several times the scammer would say he had free shipping because of being m
ilitary.   One said the car was in Alaska.  But when I said I would be in A
laska visiting my sister next week, the scammer disappeared.  In other word
s there was no car in Alaska to see.

                                Dan

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

Trusting your "gut" works pretty well if it seems like bullshit it
probably is.

Walk early, walk often. I've probably walked out on legit deals too from
time to time just because the situation seemed odd. But number of times
I've seriously regretted later "Oh man, I really shouldn't have walked
on that one"?: never. There are lots of cars in the world.

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

Do a search on " Used Vehicle Ebay Scam ".

                               Dan

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

Yeah, I get it now.  No need to pile on, lol.

I am curious how he is going to ask me for the money.  Once you involve eBay I would expect the money to be paid through them which has guarantees and I can put it on my credit card that has even better guarantees.

Rick C.

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?

I would expect him to have some reason to not use Ebay or a credit card , but only after he thinks you are thoroughly hooked.  If you have the time , you could play along and find out.

                                        Dan

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?
rote:
 eBay I would expect the money to be paid through them which has guarantees
 and I can put it on my credit card that has even better guarantees.
 but only after he thinks you are thoroughly hooked.  If you have the time
, you could play along and find out.

We'll see.  He said to expect to hear from eBay tomorrow morning.

I recall getting a phone call from some scammers who wanted you to let them
 in your computer after they told you they were from microsoft and you had
a virus infection.  I played along until it came to the point of actually l
etting them in.  I had read about this scam just a couple days before and t
hey would make you pay a couple hundred to "fix" your problem.  The person
who was writing about it let them have access to a virtual machine which wa
s safe.  The scammer had him go to a system directory and then told him all
 those files were viruses.  When he showed them he knew they were scammers
the scammer deleted a bunch of files.  lol!  Even if he hadn't been in a vi
rtual machine the deleted files could be recovered easily enough.

I just want to see what this guy says that will make him think he'll convin
ce me to send him money.  I'm actually just disappointed that I can't seem
to find a damn vehicle.  I guess I'll need to go to a dealer.  Of the half
dozen or so ads I've responded to this was the only guy to reply.

Rick C.

Re: OT: Used Vehicle eBay Motors Scam?
If it's too good to be true, it probably isn't...

---