OT: Domain Name registration

I'm looking at registering a domain name and making a website. Mainly for t he email. I currently pay for an email address cause I don't trust the free ones. Sometimes I look into paying a little more and getting something tha t looks better. I was looking at this Name.com and they have .AT domains wh ere the registration is free. Is that real? The renewal is $18.99. You can set the limit to 10 years and registration is still free. What kind of hidd en costs should I be looking for?

Reply to
Wanderer

the email. I currently pay for an email address cause I don't trust the fr ee ones. Sometimes I look into paying a little more and getting something t hat looks better. I was looking at this Name.com and they have .AT domains where the registration is free. Is that real? The renewal is $18.99. You ca n set the limit to 10 years and registration is still free. What kind of hi dden costs should I be looking for?

I forgot the link.

Wanderer

Mainly less agita. My company email is with Rackspace ($25/month for 10 inboxes and semi-infinite storage) and my domain hosting is with GoDaddy. Neither is super cheap but I've never had an outage, and their support has been great.

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

160 North State Road #203
Briarcliff Manor NY 10510

hobbs at electrooptical dot net
http://electrooptical.net
Reply to
Phil Hobbs

I have used them for all of my domain registrations for a few years, never had a problem. I don't use their hosting, I do my own.

Anytime I've had a question/problem they have been reasonable about answers.

Reply to
Jim Whitby

I use NameCheap. Domain is something like $10/yr plus $5 for WHOIS info hiding. I usually buy three years at a time so I don't have to worry about it.

Tim

-- Seven Transistor Labs, LLC Electrical Engineering Consultation and Contract Design Website:

Tim Williams

That's good to hear. I've been looking at Name.com and NameCheap.com. Name allows you to buy the domain for ten years. I don't want to the hassle of price increases every year.

Reply to
Wanderer

I'm using Network Solutions. They used to be pretty cheap, now it looks like they are at $39/yr.

One of the problems with free services is they can go away without notice. I provide my own primary domain name server, but you are "required" to have an independant secondary. I had a really cheap outfit providing that, and they silently just went away. I'd paid ahead for a couple years, too. Secondary DNS really doesn't do much, since my primary DNS is the same machine as my web server, email server, etc. it hardly matters if the primary DNS is down, you can't reach me anyway.

You ought to check out Godaddy and see what thier rates and services are. I have my SSL certificate with them. (Doesn't sound like you'd need that.) But, I think they have a range of services.

Oh, if you are going to use a hosting service, then it makes MUCH more sense to let them do everything - domain registry, DNS, hosting, backup, etc.

Jon

Reply to
Jon Elson

Try buying one. I did and it won't let me buy *anything* with the .AT TLD.

BTW, .AT is technically a country code for Austria, not at TLD. The rules are not the same but I didn't read how they differ. They talk about you *owning* the URL until you cancel it... strange.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Oh, btw, I use name.com, namecheap.com and godaddy.com. Each of them give you a lower price for transferring a domain name than for renewing it. Who has the best price when it comes time to renew gets it. The best price varies by TLD. Godaddy is much higher than the others for .org for some reason.

When you pay for multiple years Godaddy is full price and the highest of the three, but their .com transfer prices are the lowest, I seem to recall about $8. Transferring has gotten to be *very* simple these days. Even Godaddy's site isn't so hard anymore. Godaddy used to have the worst reputation for an incomprehensible web site. They also try hard to sell you extra services to the point of being hard to get rid of them. Their support is the only saving grace.

--

Rick C
Reply to

Also look at GoDaddy and One-On-One.

Reply to
Robert Baer

Yes, GoDaddy support is super. Have corporate website, use a mere 3 e-mail boxes out of god who knows. Have a number of URLs forwarding to master (website) including two Chinese.

Quite affordable.

Reply to
Robert Baer