Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier - Page 2

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
snipped-for-privacy@notreal.com wrote in

  Mega skipped.

  What dB amount does it take to make a sound "sound" twice as loud to a
human?

  (it is an easy question).

  Perhaps amps of this level should be measured in decabels.  (DaB)

  That'll make the weed folks happier.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
  Did you ever see the 5 ft woofer the built by the guys on Myth
Buster?. They connected it to a an automobile driveshaft with an
eccentric arm. Starts at about 1:53.

---

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

If you could hear anything at all, ever again, after being exposed to that much noise.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

You are the lead guitarist for Disaster Area and I claim the five quid.

https://hitchhikers.fandom.com/wiki/Disaster_Area

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Didn't we do this one last month?

--
Ian

"Tamahome!!!" - "Miaka!!!"

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

So the entire world can hear you banging away on a guitar?

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Nah, the guy's an amateur.  A real rock musician would turn it up to
10**11. ;)

Cheers

Phil Hobbs

--
Dr Philip C D Hobbs
Principal Consultant

If he's any good, he can post his performance to YouTube, a billion
people will play it, and there's your 100 megawatts.

lunatic fringe electronics

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Back from your future.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

No problem and no vacuum tubes required.  A few diesel train engines
driving air compressors feeding a big Wagnerian horn should do the
trick.  Modulation would be by pneumatic valve control, fluidics, or
hydraulic modulators.  The audio frequency spectrum would need to be
split into octave sub-bands, each with their own diesel train engine,
compressor, and narrow band modulator.  The lower frequencies will
require more air and larger engines.  The horn end of the puzzle was
previously discussed in this newsgroup:
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.design/p-AnyFkn2Wg/j1HoQ8_7DQAJ
<https://groups.google.com/d/msg/sci.electronics.design/p-AnyFkn2Wg/CA881vEEDgAJ

Back of envelope power requirements might be:
  100 mega-watts for 1 second = 100 mJ
  Diesel fuel contains 36 mJ of energy per liter.
  Diesel at $1/liter.
Assuming the amplifier is running class A, the best it can do is 50%
efficiency.  My guess the diesel train engine, air compressor, and
modulator might operate at about 1% efficiency.  Therefore, to operate
your amplifier of 1 second, it would require:
  100 mJ/sec / 36 mJ/liter / 0.5 / 0.01
  = 556 liters/sec = 33,000 liters/minute
At about $1/liter retail price of diesel:
<https://www.globalpetrolprices.com/diesel_prices/
your amplifier might burn about $33,000 USD for every minute of
operation.

Perhaps it would be easier to audio modulate or power the amp with a
hurricane:
<http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/D7.html
Looks like a commodity hurricane will produce 1.5*10^12 watts/day.  At
50% amp efficiency, 10,000 of your amplifiers that require 200*10^6
watts each could easily be run by hurricane power.  All you need is a
very big wind turbine, some advanced mega-engineering, and the GDP
(gross domestic product) for about a year to pay for it.

Also, good luck finding a location where you can safely test your
amplifier.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Jeff,

There is some difference between 1 mJ and 1 MJ.

--

-TV

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 21:11:56 +0200, Tauno Voipio

Yep.  mY mistake.  I obtained the conversion factor from:
<https://deepresource.wordpress.com/2012/04/23/energy-related-conversion-factors/
which uses: "mJ = mega-Joules"

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

conversio

  Probably with the logic of "who uses millijoules?"

  I mean...  I know the measure exists.

  How much energy do the little two inch pads they use for open heart
surgery defib?

  It is easily an order of magnitude less than the externally applied
defib.  Those hit you with anywhere from 100 to 400 joules in a pop.

  The little guys must just do a few joules each pulse.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
On Sun, 11 Nov 2018 21:17:18 +0000 (UTC),

Yep:
"Open chest defibrillation during cardiac surgery: Energy and current
requirements"
<https://www.ajconline.org/article/0002-9149 (80)90006-5/pdf>

Looks like there's a choice of 5, 10, or 20 Joules to restart the
heart with some repetition.  I had a triple bypass done in 2002.  I
remember the 10 Joules figure, but I'm not sure how many times I was
zapped.  I think it was 3 times with the surgeon later mentioning that
he was worried.  I suspect that the difficulty getting my heart kick
started might be responsible for my inability to properly abbrev.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Did it also leave you with a life-long stutter?
;)

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
email.me:

Only when he writes the word "computer".  He stutters out "computah" every
time.
Or maybe that is another s.e.d poster.

  Hehehe...  hic...    hehehe...

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 17:36:56 +0000 (UTC),

Guilty as charged:
<https://www.google.com/search?q=%22computah%22
14,600 hits and increasing.

computer = a person who makes calculations, especially
           with a calculating machine.

computah = a machine that computes.

<https://www.google.com/search?q=hiccup+cure

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier
On Mon, 12 Nov 2018 17:36:56 +0000 (UTC),

Some feminists might kill me, but "computer" originally referred to
educated unmarried women (spinsters) that were employed by astronomers
to perform routine calculations.

Often this working relationship ended up so that the astronomer
married his "computer", often a win-win situation for both.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Not just astronomers.  Physicists used more than a few "computers" on
the Manhattan project.  Bletchley Park had one or two, also.  Before
that, there was big business in artillery tables.

Re: Need schematic for a 100 megawatt audio amplifier

Charles Babbage was a human computer, one of a couple of dozen (but not
women) who were paid to calculate navigational tables, log tables,
astronomical ephemera, etc. The experience was what motivated the
Difference Engine.

There's a good write-up on this in James Gleick's "The Information".
Highly recommended.

Clifford Heath.

Site Timeline