insult

I'm designing a weird high-voltage pulse generator and as usual the thermal issues are severe. I got tired of doing the calcs of thermal resistance and capacitance of various transistor insulators, so I did this one:

It seems to work about right. The canned values of dielectric constant and thermal conductivity are sort of the averages of various wild values to be found on the web.

lunatic fringe electronics

Can't resolve the image. Pity; sounded interesting.

Cursitor Doom

Please provide a viewable format without using EXE files in your ZIP package...

I am not running a foreign EXE file just to view your BAS (BASIC) rendition.

I not excusing you of purposly planting something on my PC but it can become habbit forming and one day without paying closer attention to the source could end up being such material.

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Just download and run it on your virtual machine. You got a virtual machine, yeah? A copy of VMWare/VirtualBox with vm instances for DOS, Win 98, Win XP, Win 7, Win 10, and Linux is a handy thing to have

Reply to
bitrex

Strange idea compressing an image that must have been pretty small in the first place. The man's an idiot!! (there's the "insult" he probably expected from the title of this thread).

Cursitor Doom

Am 14.01.2018 um 14:54 schrieb bitrex:

Now with Spectre and Meltdown, virtual machines are no longer secure, if they ever were. And it's me who is responsible to pull the virtual LAN plug. In real life, completely autistic machines are seldom good for anything.

And I have all Win machines here running under VMWare for years. OK, there is a scope and a vector network analyzer that I cannot change. But I do have clean disk images of these.

Distributing pics and text as .exe files is simply not acceptable.

Gerhard

Reply to
Gerhard Hoffmann

So put that in your pipe and smoke it, Larkin.

Reply to
Chris

I didn't mean for this to get blown out of proportion, it was merely a courtesy request.

I don't look at JL like Slug-Man, JL has a respectable image of knowledge, unlike Slug-Man.

I'll most likely get slammed for that one I am sure...

Jamie

Reply to
M Philbrook

Please feel free to not run my program.

If you don't trust me, I won't trust you.

lunatic fringe electronics

The zip file contains the source code of my program and the compiled version, INSULT.BAS and INSULT.EXE respectively. Since you probably don't care about thermal issues in electronics, it wouldn't interest you.

lunatic fringe electronics

Oh come along, John. You must have known your post would provoke readers or you wouldn't have used "insult" in the subject line.

Cursitor Doom

Yeah, I shouldn't expect these people to get their tiny brains past the title line. Or to actually be interested in getting heat out of fast transistors.

AlN is magic. You could run my program and explore some cases. BeO is even better, but beryllium can be problematic.

I think I can clamp-mount a silicon carbide fet onto an AlN wafer over a copper block, and get rid of maybe 50 watts with just a few pF of added drain capacitance, without the complications of water cooling.

The circuit that I have in mind is radical, but I won't post it. It would really twist their undies.

lunatic fringe electronics

The zip file contains no images. The source file is plain ascii text, and of course the compiled version is an executable.

You have no use for either.

lunatic fringe electronics

On Jan 14, 2018, John Larkin wrote (in article):

Strange zip files are a classic way to transmit booby-trapped files. When I saw that posting, my fear was that your account had been hacked. Although the text was not generic and did sound like you. Anyway, I hung back to see how it would go.

Joe Gwinn

Reply to
Joseph Gwinn

I didn't run your program, maybe later. Aluminum with a heavy anodized layer works, but I think you suggested tthat to me. Maybe the HV is too much?

When I try to measure this I often see a lot of contact resistance.

George H.

Reply to
George Herold

Right, hard anodize isn't safe above 100 volts maybe. I'm going to run over a kilovolt. But the real concern for me is capacitance to the heat sink. SiC fets are like silicon: the heat sink tab is the drain. Pity it worked out that way; PHEMTs have the tab as source, which is nicer.

lunatic fringe electronics

Usenet is so obscure these days, I doubt that any self-respecting Russian would bother to plant his traps here.

The reactions were interesting. An unzipped .exe would have frightened them about the same.

lunatic fringe electronics

Any benefit to using heat pipes?

John

Reply to
John Robertson

Neither work for me. Different O/S!

Cursitor Doom

PowerBasic for the console is like 50 bux and pretty cool/useful, the .bas file compiled fine for me with it and runs OK under Linux via Wine, took like 30 seconds to accomplish, stop being such lazybutt cheapskates dudez

Reply to
bitrex