I'm out - closing my account

and mostly childish & ignorant. Just kf him.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

I said I wasn't coming back unless it was to discuss only electronics, but I lied. I got drawn back in and it was probably a mistake.

nded people can be. There are some SED users I agree with and who I thought were rational and analytical.

w) but interested in analyzing people, I was in for a shock. I tried coming to terms with why some SED users refused to believe anything they didn't l ike, regardless of the facts presented.

PBS, even Fox at times) cannot be trusted. This assertion in itself seems i llogical to me, but I digress....

nment agency (e.g. NASA), or any other well-established research institutio n is also accused of being biased and cannot be trusted, sometimes only bec ause of what state it resides in!!! So, what does this leave? Internet-only news sources that are relatively new and often highly targeted to their au dience, often venturing into tabloid territory, or worse, foreign adversary propaganda.

oint of reference. Everyone is their own expert. No facts or research can b e trusted, primarily if it disagrees with one's opinion. A research paper i s discounted because said person has did "their own analysis and concluded it's all false".

w and grappled with. Again, how can otherwise intelligent people have such utter disregard for what should be common points of reference?

ken on request of JT, hence the handwritten text covering my real name.

As children we look to some trusted adult(s) for The Facts. As grown ups we learn that no matter what POV you examine there are things wrong with it, and hopefully transition to realising & accepting that no source of informa tion is free of problems or can be consistently relied on.

The sensible thing is to read all useful inputs on any topic. Trusting a so urce of news is being stuck in child thinking.

Re research, some of us have read enough of it to be well aware that it's a problematic field. Research is expensive, and those that fund it are looki ng for something, and too often that skews results to the point of uselessn ess. You only need look at drug testing to see that in action on a grand sc ale. Then there's the reality that a lot of researchers simply don't unders tand the topic well enough or have sufficient critical thinking skills to m ake it to the end without goofing up. To trust it all... well you can, but don't ask me to buy your conclusions.

NT

Reply to
tabbypurr

NT does need his comforting delusions. His inadequacies worry him less when he doesn't have to read people being rude about them.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to

m. I said I wasn't coming back unless it was to discuss only electronics, b ut I lied. I got drawn back in and it was probably a mistake.

minded people can be. There are some SED users I agree with and who I thoug ht were rational and analytical.

low) but interested in analyzing people, I was in for a shock. I tried comi ng to terms with why some SED users refused to believe anything they didn't like, regardless of the facts presented.

, PBS, even Fox at times) cannot be trusted. This assertion in itself seems illogical to me, but I digress....

ernment agency (e.g. NASA), or any other well-established research institut ion is also accused of being biased and cannot be trusted, sometimes only b ecause of what state it resides in!!! So, what does this leave? Internet-on ly news sources that are relatively new and often highly targeted to their audience, often venturing into tabloid territory, or worse, foreign adversa ry propaganda.

point of reference. Everyone is their own expert. No facts or research can be trusted, primarily if it disagrees with one's opinion. A research paper is discounted because said person has did "their own analysis and conclude d it's all false".

saw and grappled with. Again, how can otherwise intelligent people have suc h utter disregard for what should be common points of reference?

taken on request of JT, hence the handwritten text covering my real name.

we learn that no matter what POV you examine there are things wrong with it , and hopefully transition to realising & accepting that no source of infor mation is free of problems or can be consistently relied on.

source of news is being stuck in child thinking.

a problematic field. Research is expensive, and those that fund it are loo king for something, and too often that skews results to the point of useles sness. You only need look at drug testing to see that in action on a grand scale. Then there's the reality that a lot of researchers simply don't unde rstand the topic well enough or have sufficient critical thinking skills to make it to the end without goofing up. To trust it all... well you can, bu t don't ask me to buy your conclusions.

Researcher bias can be a problem. Good researchers worry about it.

It can skew results, but rarely to the point of uselessness. The drug testi ng that NT dumps on so enthusiastically has still produced a lot of useful drugs.

Our right-wing nitwits think that a similar mechanism makes all the work th at has been done on climate change even more unreliable, even though the pe ople who are doing the work make a lot less money out of it than the pharma cy companies, and the people who claim that climate change isn't happening have an even bigger financial interest in denying that it is going on.

--
Bill Sloman, Sydney
Reply to