High power LEDs heatsinking

What's the best method of attaching a high power LED (5W min) to a bulky
heatsink? I want to connect up to 10 of them in a small area, ideally
using a CPU cooler with fan.

--
Dirk

Re: High power LEDs heatsinking
On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 01:23:48 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

I'd say..heat sink grease and a spring steel compression clip.

D from BC
myrealaddress(at)comic(dot)com
BC, Canada

Re: High power LEDs heatsinking
On Fri, 06 Feb 2009 01:23:48 +0000, Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Epoxy? It's like any other heatsinking problem: keep the gap thin, and
fill it with something that's reasonably thermally conductive.

One of my former employees works for a big lighting fixtures company,
and dropped by for a beer on Monday night. He gave me a couple of
top-secret white LED assemblies, each about a square inch of aluminum
with a blue led array and fluorescent phosphor layer. At, say, 15
volts and 1 amp, they look like welding arcs... you see spots for
minutes after. He claims they're twice as efficient as CFs.

The fixture design problem is to get the heat out, cheaply.

Johm

Re: High power LEDs heatsinking

I'm not too worried about getting the heat out cheaply. A few fins and a
fan are sufficient, since it is not for general purpose lighting.

--
Dirk

Re: High power LEDs heatsinking

Well I had 9. I used a copper plate to go to the LED's. I had to insulate them
so I spaced
with diamond dust and used slow hardning ceramic thermal epoxy.
The plate goes to a peltier and then to a heatsink and fan. I used a computer
sink and fan.

greg

Re: High power LEDs heatsinking

Top secret....

http://zekfrivolous.com/led /

Re: High power LEDs heatsinking

Those look like they'd provide thrust in space, man.

Re: High power LEDs heatsinking

That's very similar to what I was considering.
Thanks.

--
Dirk